RIO Outbound Short vs. Regular

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ybsong, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Good information there thank you. I was looking at replacing the loop that my good old fly shop cut off and attached my backing with a Albright knot. I find that I do prefer the Albright over the nail knot. My problem is I keep changing fly lines and a loop just makes it easier. I can weld the other lines that I've tried (except T11 that is) but with outbound I just make a mess.

2. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    Debating on the intermediate OB and the intermediate tip OB. Can someone enlighten me on the pros and cons of each?

3. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Are you talking about the Outbound Short floating/intermediate? If so I have one that I'm not really liking. I do not feel that I'm in good contact with my fly. I feel that with the wind/currents the floating line can get a bow in it and I feel the hit but can't move enough line to get a good hook set, and I try and remove the slivers lip when I strip set.

4. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    I'm talking the full length OB line, not the short

5. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Member

The outbound short floating is a super sweet line for streamer fishing in rivers, and most people probably find it easier to cast off the beach if they are not very experienced casters. I prefer the short when fishing big meaty patterns for bullies and browns in rivers. The intermediate tip can be an issue if you are fishing SUPER weedy beaches because the line "probes" a little more than the full length outbound as opposed to tracking in a straight line. George Cook pointed out to me that a good caster can launch the full length outbound farther than a short, and in the hands of a good caster that might make a difference in your selection. I find the full length line more fun to cast than the short, but the short can turn over larger flies easier.

This is probably obvious to most people, but the full intermediate lines tend to hang up more on shallow beaches although probably fish a little better out of a boat/kayak.

6. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    Thanks for that info. As far as casting, I like the OB full more than the short. The short seems like it would be better for quick 50 feet casts and the full OB is better for distance.

Can you explain what you mean by probing? I'm interested in the difference between the ob full intermediate and int tip as far as depth and action on the fly.

7. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Member

From my experience the OB full length strips back in in a more straight line than the Short. The short's tip sinks by itself or probes (I made that term up, I am sure there is a more technical term for it) down when allowed to "rest" in between strips, where the full outbound's whole head sinks at the same rate when rested. So the first 1-2' of a strip brings the Short back to a straight line, where the OB Full length is already there. I prefer my flies to present all the action, rather than my line which I just use for depth.

plaegreid and CLO like this.
  8. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    Cool so you like the full intermediate because it keeps direct contact to the fly?

9. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Media:
    The running line being intermediate allows it to sink under the chop and is less effected by currents/wind/etc. Always go full intermediate

CLO likes this.
  10. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Member

I like the full outbound with the floating running line. If you use the full intermediate running line I find I hook the beach a ton. The full intermediate helps with chop and wind, but it is hell if you ever forget a stripping basket, or want to pick your nose or something in between strips.

11. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    I do plan on picking my nose between strips. Thanks for the info.

plaegreid likes this.
  12. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

I use the OB regular intermediate sink head in both the 5wt and 6wt and I notice no hinging. Not sure why that would be a problem with a shooting head anyway, since you're head is at most no farther than a inch our to past the tip of the rod. Any farther and your cast will fall apart.

13. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    I thought he was talking about hinging on the retrieve.

14. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

A pile of good information in this thread. Justin, Stonefish, Cook, and several others have addressed many of the nuances which determine optimal line choice for beach fishing. A few factors to keep in mind (and they've already been implied in this thread): the slope gradient of your favorite beaches, the bottom substrate composition, the severity of the tidal influences, and how the fish might be behaving...

Justin astutely pointed out how the full intermediate can hook the beach a bunch...clearly an issue if the beach in question has a multitude of barnacle covered boulders in your casting sector and you've forgotten the stripping basket and the gradient is flat...but it sure does stay in pretty damn tight "straight line" contact with the fly over a sloped beach with moderate current...meaning better hookups because you can usually feel everything going on...

Other spots: tide might be ripping like a river and a longer head and/or floating running line make for easier mending if you're trying to swing your fly...but... if its a spot where the fish are constantly on the move...a short head and floating running line makes it awful easy to pick the whole damn mess up and change directions.

Largely out of laziness and limited budget, I've recently stuck with an Airflo 40+ Intermediate and a Rio Outbund Short full floater as my two beach lines on dedicated spools. I'm certain if I had more spools and more lines I would fish a wider array of conditions more effectively...

But for me currently, the 40+ Int with a 5-6 foot leader lets me send it out there and feel like I'm efficiently getting the fly down a bit, whilst maintaining a tight line (I'm sure the full Outbound intermediate behaves similarly or better) but I still hang bottom with the fly and/or head occasionally on a flatter gradient.

The Outbound Short coupled with a 8-9 foot leader takes care of my topwater activities and other scenarios with a sinking fly where I may fish a few strips then pick everything up and cast to a different spot, but in current I know I'm not getting down.

Then of course there are Polyleaders and other tips in 5, 10, and 14 foot lengths to further provide options. Stop by a local shop and talk with someone like Justin for a while. Those cats have played with everything out there and figured out some unique ways of going about things...

15. Viper97

Viper97 Active Member

My pref... the short in float/intermediate but that's just me. Makes it easier when I call up the GHFS and go... OBSF or OBSI. Then Justin or James go... oh lord... it's the crazy old guy Dwain!