Rocky Ford Lower Bridge Shut Down

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Price, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,053 / 1
    You know, those rats fight pretty hard as well (watched it, didn't do it myself). If you can trap them, I wonder if you could also target them with a vegi fly, you know like they do with grass carp. You would probably end up needing a special permit but what the heck.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +970 / 1
    It's not the fight I'd be concerned with but the how to get them off the hook.:)
    Steve Call likes this.
  3. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Any reports on the status of the bridge this year? Did they get it fixed?
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    I fished the upper bridge last Friday and a sign was there saying "lower bridge closed".
  5. dp ~El Pescador

.Renton, Wa
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    how did you do Bill?
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,277 / 0
    There's no signs near the lower bridge, but looks as if there was at one time. It doesn't seem to slow anyone down that can step over the chains that are knee high.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +413 / 0
    My! My! you are the impetuous one, Alex.

If they did that, the stars would not align and the whole thing would collapse in a heap!

Besides, perhaps the fish were the perpetrators, rather than the nutria.
  8. ChaseBallard bushwhacker

Seatown
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Knee high chains were in place when I was there two weekends ago and the east bank support was definitely sketchy looking. But my "stress testing" didn't produce any movement and we walked right over it...

Fishing was great on black leeches for the bigger 'bows and scuds and BWO drys for the 10"- 12" inchers. Unfortunately no muskrat hookups.
    Irafly likes this.
  9. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +738 / 1
    If one were to accidentally fall into the stream, is it law that he/she must exit the side they fell into? And, while not very common I agree, it could happen twice, to the same person, in one day... just saying.
    Phil Fravel likes this.
  10. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,053 / 1
    And Troutlodge just screamed "ACK, ZEBRA MUSCLES!"
    Phil Fravel likes this.
  11. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    ZEBRA MUSCLES are how they escape becoming lion food.

Sorry, Ira, I couldn't resist...
    triploidjunkie, plaegreid and rory like this.
  12. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I was out to the Ford on Wednesday 01/08/14.
    Ya there are chains across the south end bridge and it's been that way sense last spring.
    How ever fishing on the east side of the creek is excellent.
    You ask how I got across, I ain't telling.
    What a joke.
    I'll say this about that. If your cross the bridge and it is wet, frosty, snowy, etc. watch your step!!!! the ends are slippery.
    I fell last winter and it hurt like hell for many days.
    Back to the fishing report.
    The weather was right about freezing and ice build up was a pain, freezing rain was a pain. Having the place pretty much to myself "priceless"
    Hooking up on fish was a little slow, I only had to release 3 all the rest got off without having to be touched, I like that.
  13. run26miles Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I was there shortly before Christmas. A fish and game guy showed up late in the day checking licenses and flies for barbs. I asked him about the bridge. He said they are trying to find the money to fix it, but seemed doubtful it would happen any time soon. I pointed out that there are no signs saying you can't cross, and he said that's because people keep tearing them down. He said if he sees somebody crossing, he just tells them not to, but some of his fellow officers write tickets if they see people using the bridge.
  14. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    They're not GONNA find the money to fix it. We should just do it ourselves, and screw Fish&Game. Let `em go find some poachers.
  15. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA

Interesting thought Alex. Are you a member of the Wenatchee fly club? I'm a member of the Moses Lake club.
  16. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Nope, I'm not a member. thought about it, and decided against it. My opinion about government in general, however, is that their collective "head" is so far up their collective ass, that they're in the best position to give themselves a colonoscopy.
  17. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    When I was a kid growing in Eastern Oregon I had a job of trapping muskrats. They did a lot of damage to irrigation canals and irrigation ditches. So I trapped them. One dollar a hide. The local tanner bought them and sent them to tanners who made Muskrat Fur coats. The fur is really soft. Muskrats are easy to trap. And, if you know what you are doing, you could put out a couple hundred traps and slow down the problem. However you'd have to do it regularly because those little creators multiply quickly. No sure about the rules, regulations, and trapping laws in WA. Just wondering if fish & game folks have ever considered this. I'm sure the present bridge is in good enough shape but they need to put out the precautions in case of an accident. Also, there is a trail from the upper bridge to the lower bridge if you want to take it, it just takes a little longer. I've taken that trail on several occasions, even in the summer and found some pet rattle snakes. But, what's a few rattle snakes when the fishing is good.
  18. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Yeh Keith,

One time I attracted at least a dozen tics inside my pant legs and boots. I try to remember to avoid the tall grass on the opposite shore during early spring thru middle of July.

I too have seen rattlesnakes, but they are less freaky to me because they generally slither away from me. I have not had a rattler try to crawl up under my long underwear on my legs (yet, guess there may be a first time for this.)
  19. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA

I met a guy trapping at RF last year and he said he's either getting $7 or $10 per muskrat.
    Keith Hixson likes this.
  20. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    I was trapping in the late 50's. Muskrat is a very good fur. I'd trap all winter and come up with about 55 hides dried on a stretcher. Turn them in and I'd have 55 bucks in my pocket. Really good for a 12 yr old kid. From looking around there I'm sure you could get four or five muskrats a night and not really touch the population. I'm glad someone is trapping them and keeping the population down.