Rod Building Tips Wanted

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ryegen, Apr 15, 2002.

1. ryegen

ryegen Guest

I'm considering building my own fly rod. I've never tried before and would appreciate any helpul hints any would offer.

I have a couple questions to begin the conversation: is it best to start with a cheap blank for my first go; how difficult is the entire process; if you have ever built a rod were you very satisfied with the results or did you wish you would have purchased a rod?

Thanks to all that help me out.

:DUNNO

2. guest

guest Guest

I am in the process of building my first rod. It looks like Angler's workshop in Longview, WA has a great selection of blanks, guides, and all other rod building supplies.

The March/February issue of American Angler has some great tips on building a rod. I was also able to find numerous web sites on the topic. Here are some links:

http://www.flyshop.com/centers/rodbuilding/

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/index.html

http://www.distantwaters.com/onlstore_aw/aw_sb_rodbuilding.asp?dis=

Everyone I have talked with said building your own rod is a great experience. It sounded like fun, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I haven't bought my supplies yet, but I can let you know how it goes.

3. gbhstrat

gbhstrat New Member

I have built several rods and this is my experience. I built lesser expensive rods by purchasing IM6 type blanks. I used good hardware on them. The average rod cost for each rod I built was between $100-150 I created a rod drying motor from a BBQ rotisserie motor so I was able to get an awesome finish. If you don't have a drying motor, and you don't want to invest in one or the hassle of getting one, then I would not recommend building you own rod. Thanks to a fishing buddy, I made the mistake of casting the new high end rods. They were so wonderful to cast that I purchased new rods and I no longer fish with the rods that I built. I now have a Loomis GLX 6 wt 9' and a Sage XP 8Wt, 10'. I decided to start purchasing rods because the cost difference when you have to pay full price for high end blanks no longer makes it justifiable for me. Especially when you consider the warrantee. Because I fish weighted flies for Salmon and Steelhead (barbell heads and bead heads), the fly hitting a high modulus rod can cause the rod to crack or create a week spot and then break during a battle with a fish. Sage and Loomis warn you about this on their rods. The likelihood of getting a rod replaced (or replace within a reasonable amount of time) goes down when you build the rod yourself. This is main reason why I started purchased rods instead of building for main rods I fish with. Loomis requires under-wraps under the guides to prevent the guides from scratching the rod within the last 4 feet of the rod tip fo rthe GLX. The warrantee is void if the under wraps are not used. This is because the new high end fast action rods are brittle. If I decide to get a 2 or 3 wt. rod for a presentation type rod, then I will probably look for a deal on a blank and make it. So my philosophy is buy the main work horse rods you fish with and make the rods that you will only use on special occasions.