Rod dryer rentals?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by bigdood, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Do you guys know if anyplace offers rentals on rod dryers? About to embark on my first rod build as a bachelor party gift for a buddy but don't want to purchase. If you've heard of anything like that let me know. Thanks.

2. I think Patrick's fly shop did at one time

3. A $10 motor off eBay and a $2.00 PVC cap from the hardware store is all you need to build one yourself.

4. do you have a link to the motor on ebay?

5. bigdood likes this.
  6. What I did was took the motor and center drilled a PVC pipe cap. I mounted this to the motor. I then cut a piece of pipe insulation and stuck it to the inside of the cap.I needed to build up the O.D. of my rod's grip end to make a snug fit but did so with masking tape. Works like a charm for a lot less than what you can buy a factory dryer for.

7. If you're using an epoxy like FlexCoat, I cure my wraps by cutting "V" notches on a cardboard box rim and rotate the rod sections every 15 minutes until it sets up. Been doing this for 22 years of rod building so far....

8. I do the same as Steve with flexcoat high build. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to finish a rod and not have to sit around for a couple of hours, but then again I just wait until I have a day where I can put finish on a rod (or a section) and start wrapping thread on another while I wait.