Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rod for Montana

3K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  silvercreek 
#1 ·
Everybody says 9' #5 is the "do all" rod but I am seriously considering getting an 8' 6" #4 (maybe 5?) and a 9' or longer #6. I was thinking that cover the spectrum more effectively.

The question is would i be better suited with a 9' #5 (the "do all" rod) or an 8'6"#4 and 9'#6.

#35 ·
Basically what you do is rig up two rods. One dor nymphs/streamers etc... take the rod you are going to use second and put it down the front of your waders to the wading belt or just past. I ptefer my left side, putting it towards my left leg.

When the time comes to switch just put the fly on the hook keeper, grab the other rod and switch. Takes at max 30 seconds or so! Also you have your other rod wih you and wont leave it on a random bank

And yeah as Nick said it doesn't work in winter.

#36 ·
An alternative to rigging and bringing two rods is to bring a relatively fast action 9' 5wt and fish dries and smaller waters with a DT5F line and windy days and bigger waters with a WF6F line. I think most fast rods these days can easily handle the higher line weights. If big streamers are your bag then also pack a Wulff 5 wt Ambush line, which will carry a pretty big fly with minimal false casting. I use a Scott 9' 5 wt STS when fishing Montana and carry the DT5 and WF6s on spools with me all the time. I am sure that with this strategy of various lines you can come up combinations for rods and lines that will best fit your situation and minimize the gear you have to carry on the stream. Good luck in Montana, you will have a great time even if you only have one rod and one line.

#37 ·
Imho packing two rods is better then a one rod with two lines. If conditions change he doesnt have to take the time to reel in his line, change spools, restring, and retie a fly.

That being said I am assuming there are two rods?

I will also be going to Montana this year during early july. I am bringing the whole shebang, 3#, 6#, and 8#. And if I have one by then a 10' 3#

#38 ·
I see your point Red Arch, I wasn't assuming that he was changing back and forth all day to meet conditions. Usually when it gets windy it is windy for a while and taking the three or four minutes to change doesn't seem that long. Now if there is a fish rising then three minutes is an eternity! I do have one question, if it begins to rain and you have to put on your raincoat then how do you handle the second rod if you want to stay and fish? Does it stick up through the top of your raincoat? I have gotten rained on in Montana a number of times on an otherwise kind of sunny day. I have at times carried a second rod but never tried keeping it in the front of my waders, thus the extra spools instead of a second rod.

#41 ·
The 9'-6 wght. is the best do-all size.It covers the gambit from fishing dries,nymphs,streamers,wade fishing/boat fishing,wind,etc. etc. If you have the means to match scenarios then by all means take other rods and have fun,...but the 6 is the all-around rod for a fisherman trying to keep it simple but also prepared for anything.

#42 ·
Here's a thought.

Modern graphite fly rods can handle several line weights. I've used a 7 weight line on a 5 weight rod. It slows down the timing of cast BUT it is doable.

A fly rod has two functions. The first is to cast a fly and the second is to fight the fish.

If the fish you are after can be tamed with a 5 weight fly rod, but you will sometimes need a 6 weight line to cast the flies you want to use, I suggest that you don't absolutely need both a 5 and 6 weight fly rod. Take the 5 weight if that is what you will be using most often and take as second spool for your reel with 6 weight fly line.

Fly fishers get confused about fly rod action and fly rod power. First they think that going up a line weight makes the rod a slower action fly rod. Not so! The rod is still the same action and has the same flex pattern but the timing for casting equal lengths of line changes when you change the line weight.

Secondly, rod power is NOT rod action. It is a combination of rod action and rod length.

I wrote a piece for NAFFF on fly rod that explains the differences between fly line rating, power, and action.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...rod-line-rating-power-action-explanation.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.