Rod for Montana

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sterling Woodsman, Feb 17, 2014.

1. cebe

cebe Member

I am going to try carrying and spare rod that way though. There are times when I wished I had another rod rigged totally different.

2. Hem

Hem Member

The 9'-6 wght. is the best do-all size.It covers the gambit from fishing dries,nymphs,streamers,wade fishing/boat fishing,wind,etc. etc. If you have the means to match scenarios then by all means take other rods and have fun,...but the 6 is the all-around rod for a fisherman trying to keep it simple but also prepared for anything.

Old406Kid likes this.
  3. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

Here's a thought.

Modern graphite fly rods can handle several line weights. I've used a 7 weight line on a 5 weight rod. It slows down the timing of cast BUT it is doable.

A fly rod has two functions. The first is to cast a fly and the second is to fight the fish.

If the fish you are after can be tamed with a 5 weight fly rod, but you will sometimes need a 6 weight line to cast the flies you want to use, I suggest that you don't absolutely need both a 5 and 6 weight fly rod. Take the 5 weight if that is what you will be using most often and take as second spool for your reel with 6 weight fly line.

Fly fishers get confused about fly rod action and fly rod power. First they think that going up a line weight makes the rod a slower action fly rod. Not so! The rod is still the same action and has the same flex pattern but the timing for casting equal lengths of line changes when you change the line weight.

Secondly, rod power is NOT rod action. It is a combination of rod action and rod length.

I wrote a piece for NAFFF on fly rod that explains the differences between fly line rating, power, and action.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...rod-line-rating-power-action-explanation.html

Kyle Smith likes this.