Rod question...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Boomer, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Boomer

Boomer Member

I'm looking for a new 8wt to throw an outbound short and big streamers. I've been fishing a tcx 8 for a while now and it works great especially when you have lots of line out, but I'm curious to see if there are other rods that have as much power but are more forgiving. Any thoughts?

2. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Try the new Winston BIIIX or BIIISX or maybe the new Radian from Scott if you want to stay in that price range. Or the Sage ONE might jive with you better.

3. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Well, if you like the TCX, then you're likely more of a fan of fast rods. The One is a cannon (I didn't really like that much, but it's still a cannon) that might suit your needs. While I've never cast one, the Helios might be something to look at as well.

Personally, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and prefer a slower action stick when throwing meat. Since I primarily throw glass, I'm throwing a Fisher 6/7 for that kind of thing (same blank as the old SA System 7 rods), or if I need a bit more oomph, I'll throw one of my 8wt glass rods (my Steffen is my favorite). I find that with both of these, they have way more backbone than most people think (or think they know). I've never felt under-gunned with either of those rods. With both of those rods, I fish an Outbound short from 200gr up to 265gr (works really well with the Steffen).

Cheers,
    Randy