Roof rack for pram

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by John Paine, Jan 25, 2014.

1. John Paine Resident fishing dork

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I'm seeking thoughts and opinions here re: a good roof rack for my 8' Stillwater Classic.

I just purchased an SUV that is rather tall. Is there some kind of commercial rack ( or system that somebody's devised) that allows one man to easily load a small boat atop his vehicle without completely jacking both car and boat up?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas are both welcomed and appreciated!

J.P.

GO HAWKS!
  2. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +373 / 0
  3. Poppyk New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I have a Spring Creek Hopper II and use a front loader. It is built by 4 Boys Manufacturing in Kelowna, BC - http://www.4boysmfg.com/ - . Mine is a front loader as I tow a 5th wheel. It is a self-loader which allows by old bones (71) to launch and load by myself. Great setup.
  4. John Paine Resident fishing dork

Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Both are really nice loading systems but honestly, for my little pram, a bit too spendy and involved. Love the products from Rhino!

Thanks again!
  5. Poppyk New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Good luck John. You must be younger than me as I need the help in getting the pram loaded. If fact, I'm going to sell next month the Hopper II and buy a 12' Spratley. My wife wants to go out with me, and that's great with me, and the loader can still easily carry the load.
  6. Greg Smith Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I have Yakima rack called a "showboat 66"
    ( http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/load-assist/showboat-66 ) that I used to load my Pac 800 onto my Rav4. I'm planning on selling the pontoon boat so I might as well sell the loader. Your pram is 51" wide. I'll have to measure the roller to see how wide it will spread.
    I don't know if this would work, but I'll check it out.

Greg
  7. nailbender Active Member

Ratings: +32 / 0
    John , check out racknroad store. Its down by green lake 80th? and 99 east side of street.

Doug
  8. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    You are correct, Rack and Road is at 80th and 99.
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    John, sent you a PM
  10. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    John, I'm not exactly sure what your problem is....If you are too short, the boat loader systems like Eide are the ticket. If you are young and not too short, a simple ladder rack or Yakima rack is the answer.....
  11. John Paine Resident fishing dork

Seattle, WA
    Thanks all for your thoughts and recommendations. Narrowing the search.....these ideas were helpful!