NFR Rural life, new people and dogs

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trustfunder, Feb 2, 2014.

1. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +324 / 0
    I have some neighbors who spend a lot of time in their front yard with their small dog, who loves to come out and chase me when I'm out for a run. It's not aggressive, but does tend to get my dogs (who are on leashes) all worked up. They always come running to catch the dog when it happens, but stopping to let them catch it got old pretty quickly so I just keep on running and the dog keeps on following. It's become a game to see how far I can get these people to run down the street along with me before they catch their little floor mop dog. Three blocks is my best so far.
  2. Kim McDonald member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    I'm a city/country gal who is owned by three labs. One of the reasons I bought property in eastern WA was for my dogs (because they are labs and I live in a city with very strict leash laws and lots of dog catchers...I wanted some place they could be off leash). I have ~ 11 acres and when I go over there, I can open my door and the dogs can romp (they usually stay pretty close to me). I don't let my dogs go out into the county road, which is about 1/4 mile from the house. I am also an avid endurance runner and recently, for the first time in per 30 years of running, I was seriously bit by a dog. Seriously bit.

The "Mercer Island" folks as you describe them have at least two issues with what you're doing. The first is, of course, that your dogs are on a public road off leash. They have no idea if they are friendly or not. It can be scary. The dog that bit me...owner swore up and down it was a friendly dog...

Second, of course, is the danger to both them and the dogs of running beside, behind, or ahead of cars. Years ago a guy ran his gorgeous Golden at 5:30 AM along Shilshole doing the same method you are. And guess what? He ran over and killed his dog one morning, just as I was jogging by. It's an image that has haunted me ever since.

You can do what you want, but think about how others feel.

Kim
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    I like dogs and have two of my own. What I don't like is other peoples dogs shitting in my front yard,I have all the dog shit I need in my fenced in backyard where my dogs live.
  4. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +752 / 2
    The problem is yours, not theirs. You know your dogs, they don't. I don't expect others to love my dog/dogs as much as I do.
    Lugan and Kent Lufkin like this.
  5. Dan Cuomo Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    I have owned many, many dogs. Many different breeds. I've owned and trained setters, pointers, labs and Chessies. Pitbulls and Bull Terriers too. I've lived rurally and in the city. My dogs are always well trained, but I've never let my dogs run in the city, and after my kids went out to wait for their bus and found our beloved lab dead in the ditch after being struck by a car, I've never let my dogs run loose while living anywhere. They have the run of a fenced yard and I make it a point to get them out into the field or at least to the dog park at once a week. For me, it's just too painful to lose one of "the family," in a way that can be avoided.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. smc Active Member

Up River
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Trustfunder;

I used to feel the same as you, long ago when the world was very different and safe for dogs and dinosaurs.

Some people don't like dogs. Others are just afraid. My dog is the sweetest creature God ever created and it is my responsibility to everything I can do to keep her safe and sound. She's happy, and people, even children that are afraid of dogs, are much more willing to approach her when she's on her leash.

You say you understand that people can be terrified of dogs, that you "get it". But you clearly don't. If you did, you would understand the danger to your dog, and you would leash him. Get over it. Your dog will still be happy, and much safer.
    airedale and Kent Lufkin like this.
  7. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    Just for the record, I am a dog person. I am not generally afraid of dogs, especially retrievers of any kind. I recently put one down but I've had dogs continuously for many years, currently only a beagle. And I know how to befriend dogs but don't usually because it makes some owners nervous. While I was nearly attacked by large dogs some years ago, it's usually the smallish yappy dogs that want to assert themselves most. As you know probably, like people, most large dogs are lovers not fighters. But not all. Ownership comes with responsibility.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +618 / 0
    I too live rurally in Montana. Dogs may well be the #1 subject between neighbors.

On one side you've got people who believe they should be able to let their dogs run free like nature intended them to do. On the other side you've got people who, in one way or another, are put off by free roaming dogs. Many have learned what Montana law says on the subject after Animal Control, Law Enforcement, Lawyers, and the Court system come into the picture.

From MONTANA CODE ANNOTATED. TITLE 07. LOCAL GOVERNMENT. CHAPTER 23. DOMESTIC ANIMAL CONTROL AND PROTECTION; TITLE 27. CIVIL LIABILITY, REMEDIES, AND LIMITATIONS.CHAPTER 1. AVAILABILITY OF REMEDIES – LIABILITY. PART 7. LIABILITY; TITLE 81. LIVESTOCK. CHAPTER 7. PREDATORY ANIMAL CONTROL. PART 4. DOGS.

I've been out riding horses when off leash dogs have come out running full tilt at my horse. The horse spooked and I ended up being thrown. I was well within my rights to shoot the dog. I didn't, but I could have. The dog owner apologized, offered to take me to the ER or pay any medical bills. I declined but told him he and I should teach the dog that chasing livestock equals pain. He bought a shock collar, had me ride by his house and shocked the dog hard every time he tried to chase me. It didn't take long before the dog didn't want any part of me or any horse.

One neighbor shot three of another neighbor's dogs when they chased his sheep into a fenced pasture corner.

This Montana law is for both rural and urban areas.

You may want to read the entire code.

Trapper
    Irafly and triploidjunkie like this.
  9. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +378 / 0
    Hey, in your novel the other Trapper shot the damned dog!!! ;)
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  10. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +338 / 0
    Similar laws exists in rural England.
  11. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    True enough! :)

Writing is a great outlet for all sorts of things. In real life I was really in a lot of pain, pissed off, and frustrated. While writing fiction I'm often able to take events from my life and weave them into the story with a different outcome. I've been told it makes the story come to life. I hope that's true.

Trapper
  12. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +370 / 0

He probably has some riverfront property that the public had better stay the hell off too.
  13. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    What PT says is 101% true. People who don't know your dog will nearly always assume your dog is a threat. That's not just human nature, it's smart. So you're best bet for avoiding conflict is to keep your dogs under control. Lots of other good reasons for that in this thread too.
  14. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +82 / 0
    I live in the country and have never leashed my dogs. Gus is a good sized lab and with a good appetite. He makes the local rounds daily and picks up a spare meal here and there from some friendly neighbors. He is a social creature and seems to like everyone he meets (unless they are riding a motorcycle). His dog buds come by a couple of times a week, sometimes when we aren't home. I can tell because Gus always goes to the field to do his business, so if there is crap in the yard its from his pals....I pick up after them and it is fine. As to the people who come out to where you live to recreate they should learn the old saying that starts: "When in Rome"
    Bob Rankin likes this.
  15. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +797 / 1
    There are no mean dogs in Montana... what the hell have they got to be angry about, they live in Montana for hell-sake? :) The whole dadgum country seems to becoming more and more like nannyville, everyone in everybody's business.
    Bob Rankin likes this.
  16. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +378 / 0
    I'm enjoying your book.

At least for me, it started out kinda slow and I wasn't too impressed but now that I'm getting deeper into it I'm enjoying the character development and the intertwined story lines.

I've also enjoyed the descriptive river experiences.

A nice read for this time of year when the wind is blowing, the rain is fallin' and the temps are low and fishermen are hankerin' for better conditions!

Gracias!! :)
  17. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +614 / 0
    In the sticks...your dogs are likely to be shot. I love dogs, but city people who think rural folk (who also love dogs) are going to put up with deer chasing, chicken killing free ranging dogs .....are gonna find their bubble quickly burst.
  18. jersey livin' the dream

sonoma county
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    trustfunder, when confronted, you can pull what my father in-law does best; smile broadly and say not a word for an uncomfortable amount of time. Then roll-out.

You are smart enough to know what the "law" says and also smart enough to know how to diffuse the situation. Its tough to argue when there is no response from one party.
    Bob Rankin likes this.
  19. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    You're very welcome.

Trapper
  20. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +896 / 0
    the issue I have isn't the dogs and leash or no leash, but the city attitude these idiots bring with them. It's such a magnificent place to live, they naturally fall in love with it, then call the sheriff when it's hunting season because somebody's shooting in the forest, and the precious little snowflakes don't feel safe any more. Or, they take their dogs-unleashed-onto the ski hill trails in Summer for a run, and the damn things wind up chasing anything that moves. Until they run into a momma bear & her cub. Then the city twits post a big sign on the tree above the NF boundary marker warning of a "dangerous bear". We (I) will pull it down and replace it with a "warning! Stupid Tourists in Forest" sign. Pisses `em off.
    Freestone and Bob Rankin like this.