Sage and Simms at Costco?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Philster, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Just wait until all the food prices go out of hte roof. You won't be buying at the regular store. It's suppose to happen real soon...

2. Personally, I'll wait until my fly shop carries toilet paper by the bale, tires and bags of frozen chicken breasts!

K

3. I heard the French were so offended that Costco sold brie by the wheel that they too are buying all of it up!

4. Costco is the socially acceptable Wal-Mart. If your concerned about your local economy, don't shop there. If your into free-trade, get the executive membership.

5. this thread is kinda funny too me, i guess if they are selling hodgman its ok, but God forbid if they sell Simms. what a joke. i guess its getting harder to "APPEAR" better than others these days.

6. I have always wondered why so many fly fishers (not all) are so willing to spend many hundreds if not thousands of dollars on this and that esoteric reels and rods, even waders and other gear. But when it comes to flies, nope. Not for these peoples fly's, they want those to be cheap...why? I really stress the reel part of the equation lately. Why do you need and even want a nine hundred dollar reel to go trout fishing with?

Little wonder Costco wants in the action. And yes, flyshops should have hotdogs and cokes, oughtta be a law on that one, no? But charge extra for mustard--- profit baby , pay the rent even!

7. Thanks, martyg, for saying what I was thinking when I read Kim's post (to which you response was directed). I'm sure Kim is a sharp guy, but the many of comments in that particular post were inaccurate . . .

8. Because boys like toys, and those toy purchases tend to be irrational rather than practical. Guys buy outrageously expensive stuff like Harleys, sports cars, cigar collections, wine collections, scotch collections, Rolexes, fine shotguns, and much more for largely irrational reasons. The list of stuff a guy can buy at stupidly high prices is endless, and most of it is overkill if you approach such purchases from a strictly rational, functional position. But it's fun, and really really good stuff is cool.

9. I'm convinced that's because the act of shopping releases endorphins, making us feel good about the process even if the purchase itself is irrational. IMHO, women get a much better endorphin release from the process of shopping than from coming home with their actual purchases.

Guys OTOH are much more competitive. The payoff for us is comparing our purchases with those of other guys, making the item we bought a sort of trophy instead of something necessary or practical. Why else would I need 20+ rods or reels with drags that'd stop a truck when all I fish for is trout?!

K

10. thank you, I will forever have no need to wonder

11. Interesting thread, what has not ben determined is whether or not this event is a Costco policy/practice or the actions of a rogue purchasing agent/department.

GT

12. I was at Costco in Coeur d'Alene and saw a nice Sage rod for sale. Looks like that was a big shipment that was diverted.

13. Thought this article would add to the flavor of this discussion (about outsourcing manufacturing of outdoor equipment or keeping them in the states):

http://www.hcn.org/issues/261/14328

Kim

14. Thanks for sharing Kim. This sentence in the story caught my attention:

"Scott decided in 2001 to abandon the fight for mass-market share and the strategy of growing ever larger."​

That seems to point to a fundamental question: How much (growth, profit, market share, money, . . . ) is enough?

Is (more, bigger, cheaper, . . .) always better?

K

15. That depends on the ownership structure of a company. If the company is owned by outside investors including private investors or shareholders who can trade the stock on a public exchange, then the answer is "grow" because the investors want a positive return. If you were an investor in that company, you'd want a positive return too (except maybe in corner cases where investments are made by wealthy individuals for altruistic reasons). If the company is family-owned or a simple partnership between two or a few individuals, then the answer could still be "grow", but with flexibility to tone that down.

Which brings up the obvious question: Who owns Scott? What about Sage and Simms?

16. Another great story on this is Timbuk2 bags (you know, those "hip" messenger bags being the last thing you see as someone mows you down with their no-gear bike on 3rd and James in Seattle?). For years Timbuk2 made their canvas bags in San Francisco. As they gained in popularity, they gave more choices in materials, colors, sizes (the big is better idea). But they were still proudly made in the US. However, "growth strategies" prevailed and in the mid-2000s, the started having their bags made overseas except for the "custom made" ones you can order on-line. Filson is another example. Their CEO is from Patagonia (the company, not Argentina). And now, some of their products have the "imported" in the description (don't go nuts on me guys, I said some of their products...). Chaco was mentioned in the article but they, too, now manufacture many of their sandals overseas (not all, just most of them).

I frankly think being in the sport specialty goods business is extremely difficult. I admire the companies who have endured. Even though I don't necessarily believe Patagonia quality has remained the same, the company remains in Yvon's family, they haven't sold out like Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx, Cloudveil, North Face, Marmot, so somehow they must be able to walk a fine line between profits, a livelihood for family and employees, and still expand. And it is much harder for companies like Sage, Simms, Scott, Winston. because their markets are limited and from what I understand, shrinking. They have to convince people that the it's time to mothball that "favorite" rod, reel, pair of waders. It's a harder sell than $100 on a new fleece something or other.

That said, I think it's tricky to be immune from the lure of cheaper manufacturing costs.

17. Here is a link on Sage from the Secretary of State (in Washington State):

http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/search_detail.aspx?ubi=600301383

My recollection is that an investment trust or hedge fund owns Sage (which the names of the directors would indicate something like that type of structure). Their registered agent is Davis Wright, a very large (and pricey) law firm in Seattle.

Kim

18. I just heard that K-Mart is selling Winston rods and Simms waders for under $150.00. The closest store to me is like 275 miles away but what a deal so I'm heading out in my truck in about 10 mins. I'll let you know how I do, I can hardly wait to get there. :beer1:

19. never mind