Sage Method

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Stonefish, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ryan Bradfield

Ryan Bradfield Member

I dont think fly rods can go any further..maybe slightly lighter or slightly lower swing weight.All the top end rods made since 2000 are just slight improvements on weight or swing weight.I personally think the allure of all new rods is to allow the average angler to "imagine" that he could cast further with this new rod.All rod actions can be created with im6,from dead slow to ultra fast.Its just the taper.Im an ocd fly tackle junkie but i have to stop myself being fooled into believing i need more and better rods,because frankly unless i improve my technique ill always be an average caster even with a $5000 rod...

dfl likes this.
  2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    I talk a lotta smack, but I want one :) I am a gear whore!

3. dfl

dfl Active Member

Someone who is really good can take my $125 St Croix perform like a ballerina and it doesn't matter how pricey I'll make a METHOD perform like a Clydesdale in the KY Derby. It ain't the rod boys but the rod swinger that makes the difference.

dryflylarry and Jslo like this.
  4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Gag! Bull shit! Asking if Sage makes good fly rods is like asking if Trek makes good bicycles, but they've really gone over the edge with this horseshit hype. Sage boxed themselves into a corner when they claimed the ONE was the one and only, can't get no betta' than this, end all, be all, yada, yada. They doomed themselves to delivering a fucked up advertising message regardless of their rod quality forevermore, except to those who are brand new on the fly fishing block. The ONE was alleged to be lightest, bestest rod this side of unobtanium, but many ONE rods are heavier than their discontinued Z-Axis counterparts. Since Sage has made such good rods for so many years, and they can no longer dazzle the marketplace with ever-better fly rods, they've found themselves in the lowly corner of trying to baffle the market with bullshit.

Sg

dryflylarry, dfl, IveofIone and 2 others like this.
  5. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

You beat me to it by 5 minutes! :D Marketing, you gotta love it.

6. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

The marketers don't understand that the message they are sending is you were a doop for believing the last rod you bought from sage was the best they could make.
    Maybe sticking with and developing a consistent product line and making improvements over the years would sit better with those who thought the One was the one.
    This marketing tactic from my perspective is a brilliant way of diluting a brand and eroding stream cred.

7. David Dalan

Media:
    While I don't agree 100%, I mostly agree. My $220 St. Croix Legend ultra 4wt is fast, crisp and well made. Most newbies fail to get the right line for the stick. I know i did. Thats where a good flyshop can save tons of hate and discontent. A poorly lined $1000 rod will still fish like shit, and a $140 rod (like my dearly loved 8wt 10'6"echo ion) with the right line is a pleasure to cast.

8. Jslo

Jslo Active Member

Media:
    I'm sure its a quality rod, but you gotta ask the age old question- is it the rod or the caster? It's the caster peeps. I personally prefer the medium action rods of a few years back. Maybe at that time they were called "fast" but nowadays they would be called medium or medium fast. I like to feel the rod load!

dfl, Ryan Bradfield and Tony Abaloney like this.
  9. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Respectfully the age old questions have been asked and answered, rifles(long arms) shotguns, women, cars etc..

Sent while smoking a seven $ cigar

Jslo likes this.
  10. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

I'm still fishing my RPLs and I love them!

GBeeman

dryflylarry and Ryan Bradfield like this.
  11. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

Media:
    do you know if these will be replacing the tcx line?

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

I'm not sure what it is replacing, or the motive too. The motive is in weights 8 thru 12 only and listed as a saltwater rod. Usually sage only produces one dedicated saltwater rod at a time.

Is it time for the TCX to perish?....4-5 years seem to be the average life span of sage rods. Forget when the TCX came out.

Method, and Motive, seems like they are leaving their rod naming practices of short letters and numbers...DS, DS2 RP, RPL, SLT, XP, SP, etc and going for strategic word names that market research evidently has shown will help sage build up its sales. :rolleyes:

13. Nate Buchanan

Nate Buchanan Member

I was a Sage supporter until they became the Apple CPU of the fly rod industry...who can keep up? smh

14. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    They make nice rods, and I understand the need to create and market new things to keep the business viable, I suppose the marketing just rubs me the wrong way.

I hope they sell a lot of them.

There's a lot of quality foreign made rods made at an affordable price, and I don't think that stuff would exist without companies like Sage pushing the envelope.

dfl and Chad Lewis like this.
  15. JayB

JayB Active Member

Media:
    Just playing devil's advocate a bit, but I can't help but notice that every time a major player in the rod biz comes out with a new-and-improved product line, the blast of marketing hype is met with an equally predictable (and tedious - sorry but it's true) chorus of folks who can't fathom how the additional marginal cost of the new technology can *possibly* be justified, remind all of the star-struck newbs and poseurs with deep pockets that skill trumps technology every time, etc, etc, etc.

It's not that I necessarily disagree with the chorus, it's just that it seems just a touch overblown. I mean, I know that I can personally cast equally badly with the "Morning Hatch" house-brand graphite rod that I bought with paper-route money in 1986 and the best rod on the market today - but some innovations have to help some people either cast more effectively or enjoy fishing more, no? Even knowing that the effect on my casting will be marginal, I don't mind paying a few hundred bucks to get the best rod that I can afford now that I'm halfway to the grave and finally have the money to buy a high end rod every few years.

Anyhow. Is everyone lambasting the rod companies here happily fishing exclusively with 1980's or mid-90's technology? Is it really only clueless newbs and poseurs with deep pockets that fork over $800 for a rod?

Something tells me that at least a *few* of the hard-core folks scoffing in public must be privately coveting the latest-and-greatest and quietly forking over a few Benjamins and heading to the river with at least *one* fancy new rod every once in a while or else the rod companies would go under. I'm not sure how many clueless newbs/poseurs there are out there buying rods, but it can't be enough to keep every high-end rod builder in business.

Now that I'm done giving the devil his due, I can't help but wondering what - if any - improvements in rod technology have emerged in the past 20 years that even the mortal enemies of marketing hype have to concede are worth paying the price to upgrade to. Anyone?

16. David Dalan

Media:

I paid a hefty sum (in my world) for a used Helios 2 hander. Casts like a dream, thin, light and in general just frigging awesome. I covet the deathstar, but I don't really fish a 2 handed rod enough to bother owning 2 sticks that cost +/- $500 (used).

I think there are a lot of non-newbs buying expensive sticks. But the marketing messages coming with new rods is indeed getting a bit old. Hence my revision. It' way better :)

As for the technology changes in the last 20 years, sure there are changes worth paying for. But I think what many will point out is that anglers can access the improvements of the last 2 decades without spending a $1000. My much loved Echo Ion is a good example. $145 (end of the year clearance).

There's something out there for everyone.

17. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Loomis GLX rods were a significant improvement when first released. I still like them more today than their NRX rods, but more to the point, they were really something different and measurably lighter than anything else at that time (9 years ago?)

I actually think the Orvis Helios rods represented a fairly substantial step forward, a first for Orvis as far as I'm concerned.

When Redington (before their affiliation with Sage) introduced their NTi Nano-resin rods, I think that there was some substantial new technology there.

But the point of my initial (somewhat snarky) post is merely the idiocy of much of the ad copy on rods, they talk about their wares like one was discussing an improved means of nuclear fission...

Dan

18. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    One, Circa, Method.... These all sound like cleaning products or multivitamins!

dfl likes this.
  19. Porter

Porter Active Member

20. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

If you need a rod that fast to fly fish you should stick to spin casting with a worm