Sage One owners: Rio Gold or Rio Grand?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rob Hardman, May 11, 2013.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Real smooth way of saying I have a feminine casting stroke..... real smooth Dan.

Dan Nelson and The Duke like this.
  2. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    I would normally describe my casting stroke as "amateur cubism" (all the pieces seem to be there, but sometimes they don't appear to fit together too well) rather than feminine or strong but....Hmmm....I'm no guitarist, but maybe he is saying you are Eric Clapton ("Slow Hand") and he is Eddie Van Halen ("Eruption"). Is that better? Both are good guitarists - and both prefer different guitars - but their styles are distinct.

Alternatively, he might be saying you have a feminine casting stroke.

3. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Recieved reply from RIO [thank's Chris]

"Hi there,
    Yes indeed, there was a change this past season to the Grand, they are now a full line size heavier. Keep an eye out for the new RIO Perception lines which will be coming around July 1st, they have a non-stretch core and are a half size heavier, very nice casting lines. Please let me know if you have further questions or comments. Have a great day!
    Kind regards,
    Chris Andersen"

Theres your answer Rob, great opp to be up front trialing RIO's brand new Perception. Somebodys gotta be the guinia pig! [jist/jest]

Dan, good posting on #20. Interesting enough to note, a 5wt Gold is specd by RIO as 146gr @ 30'

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

Thanks everyone for the help and opinions, and to Shotgunner, for contacting Rio and posting the reply.
    I can't wait until July for the new "Perception" line to become available, so I think I'm gonna try the gold. If it doesn't work out, I've got a nice mid-flex 5wt Access that would like it I'm sure.
    -Rob

5. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    this is precisely the reason I wish that both line manufacturers would just label their lines by actual grain weight (1st 30') instead of "x"wt AND rod manufacturers would just label their rods with a grain weight.

It just seems silly to me that a 5wt line is actually a 6wt line and a 5wt rod is actually a 6wt rod.

I get it that it's all about marketing and 6wts don't sell as well as 5wts, but call it what it is (besides, then you could actually sell more 4wts that are really 5wts).

creekx likes this.
  6. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    FYI: Just got a sample of the new Perception line. I really like it on my ONE -- loads just a bit better than the Gold on the stiff ONE. But I still prefer the Gold line on my 5wt Orvis H2 tip-flex.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Lines lines lines...so many choices , and so many configurations, different grain windows, head lengths, tapers, what is what? Then there are the rods?...it's a 6 weight rod, but houses the properties of a 7 or even 8 weight.

I was experimenting with my 6 weight TCR. I have been using a 6 weight rio versi tip of lately on this rod, but for the hell of it I put on some 8 weight versi tips to the 6 weight runner....OMG! Houston we have a new Launch Code!

8. David A.

David A. Upside down.

Home Page:
    I've recently got the 9' One #5 and Rio Perception line and it's the best set-up I've ever cast. It's amazing in close or at a full line.
    I compared it with an SA Trout, Rio Gold and a Rio Grand, (older 1/2 weight+)
    All were good, but the Perception is much better IMHO.

9. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Believe it or not, I just had the opportunity to use the Rio Grand(e) floating line on the Rio Grande River in Colorado. The RG headwater is about as broad as the Cedar River, some of the Upper Forks of the Snoqualmie, and even Oregon's Deschutes. My rod is a TFO Pro 6wt. I've had problems loading that rod for shorter casts, but this line, with its weight profile, made those waters very manageable. At the same time, I was able to make long casts when I needed to. Think of side stems flowing into the main and having to make a long reach cast into the stem and have the drift flow into the main. This was a very good line. It could also handle turning over both heavy and light leaders with reasonable presentation with big and small flies. I'm loving this floating line.

10. Cold

Cold Member

Kind of cool to see this thread come back up, as it was originally one of the first to draw my attention to this site when I decided to get a One over the winter, and was shopping for a line for it. After reading this discussion and a few others, I eventually decided to sign up for an account.

Anyway, as I said, I got a brand new One in January, a 690-4, and for the winter, used the only 6wt line I had on it, a Wulff Ambush TTAM6F. It was...okay. Nothing too stunning, but I'd never been a fan of that line in the first place, so I tried not to pass judgement.

This spring, while reel shopping for the One, I eventually got one (from this site, I think) that actually came spooled with WF6F Rio Gold. Paired with the One, it delivered long range accuracy in droves, provided the fly was light. I found myself comfortably fishing at 50-60 feet out without issues. The only significant drawback was that I was having trouble turning over large and/or heavy flies.

In April, I actually won an online contest for my choice of any Rio line, and decided to go with a WF6F perception, and I've got to say, it's a match made in heaven. With the right leader, I can fish anything from a #18 BWO on a long greased mono leader, to a 5-6" articulated streamer on an extra fast sink poly leader...as close as 10 feet of line out to 50 or more, plus leader. I'm not usually one to say that gear can make you a better angler, but this is about as close as I'll get to a claim like that. With most of my rods, my comfort zone is from about 15-40 feet...I can stretch it out farther, but beyond that, I'm trading presentation and accuracy for distance at a very unfavorable exchange rate. With the One + Perception combo, I'm every bit as comfortable casting, presenting, mending, and fishing at 50-60 feet and farther as I am at 20.

Do I need all of that distance all the time? Certainly not. But being able to (comfortably) reach that much farther without hesitation, whenever I need it...well...it's a valuable addition to my bag of tricks on the water.

Porter likes this.