Sakasa Kebari/Tenkara for SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Curious to know...anyone ever heard of someone fishing (and catching) SRC's on a Tenkara rod using a Tenkara fly? Or on a western outfit using a Tenkara fly?
  2. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    I know people, including myself, have caught them on reverse spiders, which are pretty much Tenkara flies...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Alexander likes this.
  3. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    I have a Tenkara rod that I bought just for the heck of it, and have caught fish on it in rivers. It makes a decent nymphing rod, and you can get good drifts, especially around structure. Basically high sticking.

I don't think it would be my go-to rod for beach fishing, and have never used it in the salt. But I have caught SRCs ridiculously close to the beach with a traditional fly rod, so, sure I guess you could. One issue is that the rod telescopes down into itself in many segments. Not sure what impact salt water exposure would have - the tolerances seem really tight.
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I've only caught one SRC and only fished tenkara once, but I caught that SRC in the stilly about 15' in front of me in structure on a pretty basic fly. I think I still would have caught it using a tenkara rod and fly.

(yes, I do realize how useless this advice is :))
  5. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    Reverse spiders like tenkara flies? news to me. :confused: I have caught several on reverse spiders, dam I didn't know. Is that even legal to use tenkara flies on a intermediate line and a 9' 6 weight rod/reel ? :eek:
  6. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +669 / 0
    I'm waiting for a Orvis sponsored beach Tenkara event. I can visualize Leland tossing his beach popper off a traditional Tenkara rod for Src. Orvis does float plane Src fishing ,so Src Tenkara is not all that out of the box for a event. I'd be down for it!