Sakasa Kebari/Tenkara for SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Curious to know...anyone ever heard of someone fishing (and catching) SRC's on a Tenkara rod using a Tenkara fly? Or on a western outfit using a Tenkara fly?

2. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

I know people, including myself, have caught them on reverse spiders, which are pretty much Tenkara flies...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Alexander likes this.
  3. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I have a Tenkara rod that I bought just for the heck of it, and have caught fish on it in rivers. It makes a decent nymphing rod, and you can get good drifts, especially around structure. Basically high sticking.

I don't think it would be my go-to rod for beach fishing, and have never used it in the salt. But I have caught SRCs ridiculously close to the beach with a traditional fly rod, so, sure I guess you could. One issue is that the rod telescopes down into itself in many segments. Not sure what impact salt water exposure would have - the tolerances seem really tight.

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I've only caught one SRC and only fished tenkara once, but I caught that SRC in the stilly about 15' in front of me in structure on a pretty basic fly. I think I still would have caught it using a tenkara rod and fly.

(yes, I do realize how useless this advice is :))

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Reverse spiders like tenkara flies? news to me. :confused: I have caught several on reverse spiders, dam I didn't know. Is that even legal to use tenkara flies on a intermediate line and a 9' 6 weight rod/reel ? :eek:

6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm waiting for a Orvis sponsored beach Tenkara event. I can visualize Leland tossing his beach popper off a traditional Tenkara rod for Src. Orvis does float plane Src fishing ,so Src Tenkara is not all that out of the box for a event. I'd be down for it!