Salmon Patties Recipes?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by dryflylarry, May 26, 2013.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    I'm not much of a cook, but I'm sure this isn't hard. But I am interested if others have a nice Northwest or Puget Sound recipe for salmon patties. I personally think that incorporating onion in salmon doesn't suit my taste and ruins the flavor. Any good ones you guys and gals can recommend? I'd like to freeze some up during coho season! Thanks.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +700 / 5
    Pretty simple. All you need to do is delete the onions. This is how we've done it for years.

First off, we always can our salmon. We use the canned salmon (we pressure cook them in ball jars, not the metal canning). We descale and take any big bones out before we can them. No seasoning at all inside, just straight salmon.

1 pint salmon
    1 sleeve saltines (crushed into crumbs)
    1-2 eggs
    seasoning of your choice (we just did salt and pepper)
    1 onion (of course, you delete it) LOL.

Now, don't add both eggs and all the saltines (we have also used ritz and just plain ole' bread crumbs too) at once. Add about half the saltines and an egg, then add more saltines as needed to firm it up and make it hamburger consistency. Fry in oil (and can bake, how my Dad had to do it while he was sick) and serve as you wish. We did everything from just salmon patties with fried potatoes on the side, or actually made salmon burgers with homemade tarter sauce. My Dad and I always made extra, and would toss them into sandwich baggies (just a patty, not a sandwich) and eat them on the river. :)
  3. nailbender Active Member

Ratings: +35 / 0
    Salmon Burgers

1lb. raw salmon diced small
    2 scallions diced small
    2tsp. dijon mustard
    1tsp. worscestershire sauce
    1tsp. lemon juice
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    1/2tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1 pinch paprika
    3tsp. mayo
    1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
    combine everything with mixer or food processor until about like hamburger. You may have to add a little mayo or bread crumbs to get the right consistency. Makes 4 patties.
    Cook on grill brushed with olive oil (turn carefully they are kind of fragile)
    Serve on toasted onion bun with lettuce and tarter. You can also add red bell pepper diced small. This recipe was trial and error from several recipes I found on the internet. You can also sub egg for the mayo. Hey if you don't like em its only 1lb. of salmon.

Doug
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    Thanks you guys! I meant to say Salmon Burgers, but I assume they are the same. I'm guessing I should mix up various small batches to get the flavor I like before committing to a lot of patties and then not like them!
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +700 / 5
    The names are interchangeable. Patties, burgers, whatever. Yeah, change it up the way you like it. I always ate them the same way my Dad made them, since that's how I grew up eating them. We always let the fish do the talking. But we did add onions, but Walla Walla Sweets of course. :)
  6. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +283 / 0