NFR Sampling satisfaction with life with the Farmer Wave

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    Is your windshield tinted also. You usually wave at on coming traffic. Not out your side window. You must be new.:p:p
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,694 / 0
    Open your sun roof and wave from there...

Geez, if your windows are tinted that much, you must be working for the feds :D
  3. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    I have always found that the one finger wave gets responded to.:D
  4. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    I remember visiting family in South Dakota when I was around 14, and learned of their version of the finger. I thought it was pretty amusing, kinda neat, that people would give that little raise of the index finger to everyone driving by.

I've seen waves and other positive hand gestures in rural WA, but it's been sporadic. If someone waves at me, I try to wave back before we pass. It just seems that all to often people don't get the greeting you're trying to send, so I have initiated the wave less and less. I also don't flip the bird anymore, too many people get shot for that.
  5. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    OMJ, Even with out the windshield being tinted, it is hard to see in through the front windshield. Linda was driving my car the other day when I was mowing the yard. I pointed where I wanted her to park, and all I seen was the white of her shirt sleeve move inside the car and she was just pointing back.
    I have all the windows except the front tinted down to 15% (i think that is only letting in 15% of light... not for sure though) on top of dark leather interior, so not much light inside.
    It looks good, but is a pain in the ass to drive around at night.
    I got it done to avoid break ins. They arent going to break in if they cant see anything. Not that I keep anything in my car anymore anyways, but you get the idea.
  6. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    I wish! Those guys make good money that drive around in the dark window cars! I did it just for the security, and keeping the leather in good shape. It looks great as well! I will find a good picture of my car and post it up here in a bit.
  7. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +145 / 0
    The farmer wave at 2:20:
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Sometimes I wave, and sometimes I don't. I usually try to respond if someone waves to me.
    I wave at my friends, and If I see another rig with surfboards on top, I may throw da "shaka" sign.
  9. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    While I don't get the normal wave in the city, I always get the Vanagon wave.

Other vanagon owners will know what I'm talking about. Doesn't matter where you are, how fast you are going, etc.--if you pass or drive by another Vanagon, or a VW bus, there will always be a wave.

Same thing used to happen in high school when I drove a '69 Beetle.
  10. Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    You should go to Lopez island. Everyone waves there. No one waves on the other islands though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  11. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    While there's a few motorcycle snobs here in Spokaloo I still get regular responses from riders of all makes. I own an HD, a Honda, and two Yamahas. Hell, I even wave at scooters. Even motorcycle cops and one-percenters wave (around here it's the Hells Angels and Gypsy Jokers, while on the coast it tends to be the Banditos).

Oddly enough, during my long distance bicycling days, I noticed that bicyclists seldom pay any attention to each other...to the extent that I once encountered several solo bicyclists going the opposite direction out on a remote stretch of the AlCan who would not even return a wave.

As for automobiles, I've found on that secondary roads you can often get the farmer wave, especially if you're driving a pickup. Late model sedans apparently don't deserve the same treatment (must be silly city folk out where they don't belong).

I have tried one other experiment while driving; the yawn. Wait until they get close enough, then simulate a yawn. Even at highway speeds it often illicits a yawn response.

Finally, and I know it's a little off topic, but I've occasionally experienced a low level of borderline hostility in small town bars and cafes UNTIL they see how respectful you are to the wait staff. You can feel their comfort level rise when they feel you're not going to be a dickhead, even though you reek of city.

Sometimes city folk don't fathom that in such places you're interacting with family. They might not even like each other, but you're much lower in the pecking order because you're an outsider. A sincere 'yes mam' or 'yes sir' goes a long way. They don't give a shit you're driving a fine automobile or got a wallet full of plastic. God help you if you're wearing a suit; to working people suits are associated with unpleasant things...a doctor who told you that you've got cancer, your ex-wife's attorney, or a funeral director.

As the humorist Dave Barry once said (in all seriousness), "I don't care how nice you are to me, if you're not nice to your server, you're not a nice person".
    Lugan likes this.
  12. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    So Krusty, you're the one who started that yawning business! I always thought that it was because I just look boring as hell. I didn't realize that it was the result of some trend setter's experiment gone viral! :D
    As a cyclist, I have also noticed a tendency for some other cyclists passing in the opposite direction on the other side of the road to ignore my presence on my side of the road, even though I usually lift the two fingers that I have resting lightly on my brake lever in a friendly salute, while I nod in their direction. I haven't figured that out yet.
    I do ignore the local pedestrian dude walking the other way who always hollers across the road to ask me if I have an "extra money" to give him.
    Krusty and Lugan like this.
  13. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    Tom Leykis started here too.
  14. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I went about 50% on the 'wave' in Central Wa last weekend.
    Something about rural roads and honest, hardworking people just makes ME friendlier.
    Maybe it's my Midwest roots.
    I am still amazed at how common eye contact is in the Midwest, compared to the Western Wa effort to ignore your presence.
    Bicyclists are known for being arrogant pricks....In the Midwest, road riders do indeed, acknowledge.
    Krusty likes this.
  15. Jim Paget Active Member

Ratings: +38 / 0
    If you go on either Jeep or Motorhome forums, the same complaint exists there. When I try to wave I notice that most drivers really aren't making eye contact with drivers coming the other direction. I don't think that it is personal or even rude. It really may be the safest thing to be doing. ( I drive both a Jeep and a motorhome.)
  16. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    I've ridden motorcycles since first throwing a leg over at 16 years old. I've waved for decades, but never at an oncoming vehicle. Now the funny thing is that when I'm in Oroville I get waved at in the truck. So I have become a "local" and wave back. What is really funny is that I'm still ready to wave at every oncoming motorcycle even though I'm in a truck, hard habit to break.
  17. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    That's what they're known for on the AlCan...a few campgrounds told me they had problems with cyclotourists carving their names in picnic tables and for pitching a fit if they couldn't get 'organic' vegan food...on the AlCan of all places! I was plenty happy to eat fresh cariboo sausage, and whatever they had.

People operating road construction pilot cars (at any given time at least 10% of it's under construction every summer) told me they had problems with cyclists refusing to be transported in trucks over the bad spots, or waiting until the daily construction shutdown. Some were so adamant about riding through active road construction (extremely dangerous) they'd get arrested.

Me, I'd just bullshit with the flaggers and drink beer offered from the motorhomes. Most of the flaggers were attractive young women.

I found that the motorcyclists were the friendliest bunch. I remember sitting in a cafe in Haines Junction, drinking coffee, and waiting for the downpour of rain to stop. An old grizzled biker looked at me, and said, "Do you know what the difference is between a biker and and a bicycle rider? ......20 years, and forty pounds."

Time has, for me, proved him right.
  18. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +282 / 0
    Everyone waves on Rock Creek Road. Even you Washington people. It's weird, but I think it's because everyone is so happy to be out fishing. One of my favorite things about that creek.
    constructeur likes this.
  19. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    'Trend setter' and 'krusty' are words that, until now, have never been uttered together.
  20. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Member

Central Oregon / Maupin, OR
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    "By far, the friendliest road that I have data on is 206 between Wasco and Condon. There's not a lot of traffic but some days I can get a 80% or higher response rate. Last time I drove it, some old boy in a big Dodge pickup beat me to the wave! These are the friendliest people in the country. Maybe I should move there."

I have to agree. I bought a place in Maupin last year, and now I live there 2/3rds of the year. The people of South Wasco County have been very friendly.
    Paul Huffman and Kyle Smith like this.