Sausage

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Gary Knowels, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    The girlfriend and I had a free weekend and decided to replenish our sausage stores.

Picked up 42 pounds of pork butt as well as 3 pounds of beef chuck for bratwurst, sheep and hog casing, and spices and got to work.

uploadfromtaptalk1362977910497.jpg

Started off by grinding all of the beef and pork and added 7 pounds of pork to the 3 pounds of beef to make brats, spiced it up and cased it.

uploadfromtaptalk1362978037967.jpg
    Next up was sonoran style chorizo, 13 pounds worth, half of it cased, the other half as bulk.
    uploadfromtaptalk1362981603846.jpg
    Next was 10 pounds of sage and garlic breakfast sausage, about 13 cased.
    uploadfromtaptalk1362981680705.jpg
    Finished it up with 12 pounds of hot fennel-coriander Italian all as bulk.

Took some time but with a couple friends and a few drinks we turned out some damn tasty meat. Through test cooking was my friends' favorite part!

All told the sausage came in at $1.93 per pound.
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  2. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    Damn good job!! Been wanting to do this for years.
  3. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Beautiful Gary!

where did you get the supplies? from the looks of the finished product, this wasn't your first "rodeo"...!
  4. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    It was not my first hog wrangle...5th run in fact. I got the pork at cash and carry and the beef and casing at double d meats in mountlake terrace.

I love making sausage having made merguez, Italian, kielbasa, polish, smoked Hungarian, apple, chorizo, 5 spiced Chinese, bratwurst, and breakfast sausage. I always make the flavors bolder than what is generally commercially available. I also like to barter with sausage for other wares.
  5. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Have you make a crack at cured sausage? I've been wanting to try making some Spanish style chorizo.
  6. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    I haven't cured anything yet mainly because i don't have Tue space, but i want to. I did smoke some Hungarian garlic and paprika sausage that turned out excellent.
  7. Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Kent WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Gary, just curious ... what is your address? and when will you be out of town? ;)
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Haha! Why don't you come over while Im here and make sausage with me next time i make it.