Sawyer SST Oar Connection

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Gregg Lundgren, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Anything I should know about the Sawyer SST (Scadden Power Stroke) 2 pc. oar connections?

They use a back-out screw pin connection to attach the two oar pieces. Seems to be a tight and stable fit. I just gently backed out the screw pin into the connection hole, assuming there is not some sort of 'locking' that should be felt.

The last thing I want to do is destroy the mechanism, but I also want to be confident in the connection.

Any general comments about the oars would also be welcome.
  2. CMustang1 _

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Still waiting on 2 sets(the frameless set and the set for using with frame) to arrive. It's been over two months now. I would also like to know more about usage and longevity of these oars, especially with the holes in the set for using it frameless.
  3. Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Gregg,

I actually developed that oar with Bruce Bergstrom at Sawyer about 6 years ago. We went through a couple different ferrule types and the screw type you have was by far the best. However, it also makes the oar row like a 4x4. It, like old fly rod ferrules stiffened the shaft so you didn't get the flex of the oar. We also decided, after about 5 different shafts, to go with an Aramid (kevlar) instead of carbon for the same reason. Carbon just makes the oar too stiff. Longevity should be just fine. If the blade is the same it is 100% glass with a Dynel edge all around. Just keep the screw run out with a little force and you won't have any problems.

Jim Wheeler
    Spring Creek Prams
  4. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Jim... Thank you for providing key information regarding these oars. They do appear to be very popular for use in rivers. I'm looking forward to giving them a try.
  5. CMustang1 _

Thank you for the information.
  6. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

I had these oars out for a test drive yesterday. I really liked them. A substantial efficiency gain over the standard aluminum ones. I'll temper that remark with the fact that I also optimized the rower's seat location since using the aluminum ones. They did not seem heavy or stiff to me, but I haven't tried many oars. The two piece connection worked great, and I likely won't need to break the oars down very often. If I was going to be reconnecting often, the durability of the screw might be an issue.
  7. CMustang1 _

I am still waiting for mine to show up. Glad to hear you like them.