Scadden boat oars.. I own a Challenger XXX

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by james.jimenez, Mar 8, 2013.

1. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Ok so here is the question I am hoping someone has the answer to. Anyone here order and receive the upgraded composite oars for a Scadden pontoon recently? I have received a pair, but they are not like the ones on their website, the ones on the CHALLENGER XXX photo. I do believe the ones on the website are SEWYER brand, the ones I have received are not that brand. I spoke to an individual running a booth for Scadden at a fly tying expo today, I did not tell them what I received, and they said that Scadden pontoons come with SAWYERS brand oars. I described to them the pontoon that I own and they still continued to tell me that I would receive the SAWYER brand oars not another brand. But I know for sure that the oars I have at home are NOT SAWYER brand.. Has anyone else ran into something like this?

2. teedub

teedub Active Member

I am not sure if Larry Tullis is still around there but he seems to be a straight shooter and my sense is he will give you an answer to your questions.

3. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    The two photos of the Challenger XXX that I see on the website feature the (Sawyer) Power Stroke oars(multi-colored blades). That is what I ordered, but there are two different oar upgrade options, the Power Stroke or the Litespeed. The Litespeed were the lighter weight, more flexible shaft oars with replaceable yellow blades. I believe they are currently manufactured by Aqua.

My Assault XX is due to be delivered sometime next week, so I can't yet speak to what I might receive.

4. james.jimenez

Sorry for the mistakes in my first posting. I ordered the SAWYER OARS not the AQUA OARS like I originally posted. My apologies for the mistake.

5. james.jimenez

I have corrected original posting, thanks. The oars I received where Cataract Mini-Mags. And I am trying to see if anyone else have revived these in place of the Sawyers...

6. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    James, I know from talking with Jim Wheeler at Springcreek prams that Sawyer has a new owner that he has found very difficult to work with. It may be that Scadden has run into the same problem. That said, Mumbles runs cataract minimags on his assault and they work just fine.

7. Mossyback

Mossyback New Member

I am waiting for a pair of the Power Stroke (Sawyer) oars from Scadden. They offered me the mini mags if I don't want to wait another couple of weeks. I like the directional blades on the Power Strokes, whereas the mini mags are flat blades. Does anyone have a opinion about these two oars? I think the Cataract oars may be a little lighter? If anyone out there thinks the mini mags are superior to the Sawyer's please chime in, I would like to hear your opinion.

8. Gregg Lundgren

Media:
    I spoke with Dave Scadden this afternoon. The Assault XX that I ordered at the Lynnwood Show should arrive on my doorstep Thursday. The boat will be delivered with the standard aluminum oars. The (Sawyer) Power Stroke oars I upgraded to will be shipped later. He was unable to estimate when that might be. I was also offered the Cataract Mini Mags as an immediate replacement, but I chose to wait for the (Sawyer) Power Strokes.

btw... I ordered the Assault XX in the new deep blue color with the non-glare finish. A non-glaring approach to nervous water might just help a guy like me. I can use all the help I can get!;)

JesseCFowl likes this.
  9. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I actually have the Sawyer power strokes and just puchased a set of the Mini Mags as i felt the Sawyers flexed too much when in faster technical water for my liking. I have not used the Mini Mags yet but they are thicker so i am hoping for a more powerful stroke. I will note that i have a NRS frame on my Assault XXX so that might play a role in the extra flex to move it around.

SCARBOO

10. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Litespeed oars are pretty good - they have some flex to them, but I actually like that.

With a fixed oar, the most important thing is not putting the downstream oar in the water more than a couple inches. Unfortunately, I have a mental block regarding this and always need a back-up oar ;)

11. Gregg Lundgren

Media:
    SCARBOO... It would be appreciated if you could report on the differences between the Sawyer Power Strokes and the Mini Mags after you give them a try. This realizing that you are using a frame, but one could take that into consideration.

As an aside, the Litespeed(Aqua) oars appeared to be much more flexible than the Sawyers.

12. Gregg Lundgren

Media:
    Jesse... Have you had the opportunity to try both the Litespeeds and the Power Strokes? Perhaps the Mini Mags also? Comparisons?

I know, questions, and more questions. "Anybody?.... Anybody?...":confused:

13. Panther

Panther Member

14. Panther

Panther Member

I'm hoping that this topic doesn't die. I have a Scadden Renegade. Was going to upgrade my oars this years. I'm mostly a stillwater fisherman. If Scadden currently has access to Mini-Mags, I'd like to hear how they stack up against the other oars mentioned.

15. james.jimenez

I received Mini-Mags instead of the Sawyer oars a few weeks ago, with out being givin the option to choose between the two. I see on the website that the Sawyer oars have a hole drilled into them so they can be used with a frameless assembled pontoon. The Mini-Mags that I have recieved do not come with this feature. I can only use the oars when I assemble the pontoon with its optional frame. Kind of makes getting these oars to be used on some of the rivers here in Washington pointless. Since I still have to hike in to my favorite spots with my old oars because of the missing drilled hole. I must use my original oars if I want to go frameless. Anyone else run into this type of situation. On the local lakes these Mini-Mags work great. I can really feel the difference between the original oars and these. Have t taken them on the river yet because the pontoon with frame is just a little to much to handle when hiking into what I, and about 3 million other people, call the secret spots...

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    James, have an idea how to use those mini mags without drilling holes in them. Will talk to you about it Tuesday.