NFR School for Teachers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary Knowels, May 8, 2014.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Good on you. I retired as a teacher two years ago after 28 years. I bounced around for a few years and finally went back to school and never looked back. It was by far the best job I ever had. It didn't pay as much as some others but I have a comfortable retirement and I had an adequate amount of time off during those years to the point that other family members were jealous. I will never regret the decision. Hopefully you will not.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Wow, good for you Gary. Having three months off every year will certainly get you on the water more.

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I have a feeling that you will do well and that the students will look forwrd to your teachings. And, nice choice for some FF time!

4. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Congratulations Gary, it's nice to hear folks on the board encouraging you and speaking well of the profession. Teaching is one of the most important jobs and greatly undervalued in our society imo.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Gary, I agree with the other members here offering you congratulations on your career choice. I honestly feel that you will be a great teacher.

You might also be successful as a fly tier and motivational speaker, handing out samples of your version of the Sixpack, along with encouraging words to get out on the nearest lake and cast and retrieve the thing. I headed up to my favorite lake and tied one of those flies (Sixpack) you gave me a couple of years ago onto the end of my line. I cast and let it sink some...barely tightened up my line when it was "fish on!" I tried to troll...didn't get more than a couple of paddle strokes and "fish on!" Everything from 11'' wild cutts , 13" stockers, and several 20"+ jumbos attacked your tie with great enthusiasm. The first one I tied on finally got chewed down to a mere raggedy-ass body. I retired that one and tied another on, mainly to keep my own confidence level up. The trout just wouldn't let me troll out of there. They had me boxed in. I finally had to quit fishing in order to actually leave my hotspot on the lake and paddle back to the ramp!

Ron McNeal and Gary Knowels like this.
  6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Gary, here's some food for thought;
    I had a very cool Humanities teacher in High School (very early '70's) that let me tie flies for credit in class (I called them "art" - they weren't, but he was cool enough to accept that). The class was all about enriching students lives in the arts and to help them gain an appreciation for them.
    And that it did!
    We watched slide shows of Rembrandt and Monet, listened to Bach and Beethoven, learned tie dying and silk screening from one of my buddies, and others learned a little about fly tying and fly fishing from me. All of this going on while the "masters" in the background etched our minds forever.
    I'll never forget that class. And it was the teacher that allowed us the freedom of creativity so that all the students could learn and enhance their future lives and experiences.

7. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

I don't know you personally Gary but great news - congrats!

One note on your estimate of hours worked by MDs....I have lots of friends/family who are MDs, and lots of friends/family who are either teachers or professors. Their hours worked, compensation levels and job satisfaction are all over the board and not always what would be expected. I have MD friends who have incredible work-life balance, work an average of +-3 12-hour shifts per week and take home over $400K per year, teaching friends who grind out 50+ hours per week for most of the year, make south of $60K and work an extra job during their summer "vacations" to make ends meet, and everything in between.

Not sure if i have a point beyond both teaching and medicine are noble callings (more noble than mine) so ya can't go wrong if they make you happy, but within each profession there is a big ole spectrum of hours, compensation and commitment. People in each profession have found ways to be total workaholics or masters of work-life balance.

I'm happy for you because it seems that you found the compass heading that fits Gary K - enjoy the journey!

Kent Lufkin and Ron McNeal like this.
  8. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Thank you all so much for the kind words and continued encouragement. I'm really looking forward to starting my program and eventually the day that I get my own classroom. I will take all of your suggestions to heart and add them to my own ideas, experience, and personality and hopefully it produces a unique and impactful environment.

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

this is why after high school I went to the Norwegian school of hard knocks in Dutch harbor ak. there I earned my degree in king crabbing and joint venture deep sea trawling. The school motto was Get to vork you bastards,slackers need not apply. life lessons I have never forgot to this day.In fact I have photos of the boats I fished on to remind me of how good I've got it taped to my locker in the maintenance shop that I work in at Boeing

10. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Yep, Dutch Harbor via the Shamrock in Ketchikan:D Quite the place!

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  11. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Good on you Gary!

I just completed my Masters in Teaching last spring at Western, and am just finishing up my first year as a High School English teacher over here in the Yakima Valley. It's a tough row to hoe, but I can honestly say that I've enjoyed 80% of my time in the classroom this year. It feels really good to come home every day feeling exhausted, a good job should be challenging. The hours are rough, the kids can be a pain in the ass, but it really does have its moments. I don't think I'll ever want to do anything else.

That being said, there are a number of changes happening in education right now (as always). In my opinion, most of them are for the better, and you will learn about them in your program. If you ever want to hear how all that stuff (Common Core, TPEP, Smarter Balance, Title 1, etc) is affecting the classroom, from a new teacher's perspective, please feel free to shoot me a pm. I love to talk shop.

On top of that, regardless of how much you constantly have to bust your ass, some of those good stretches of time off come at times of the year favored by one who likes to spend his/her time chasing fish.

Cheers,

Jason

Kent Lufkin and Gary Knowels like this.
  12. Greg Armstrong

The Shamrock in Ketchikan!
    Damn, I'd almost forgotten about that place. It had a colorful history, shall we say.
    And speaking of education - I witnessed and learned a lot in that bar when I was a deckhand on a seiner up there for a few seasons back in the '70's. A lot of stuff took place up on that stage.
    The skippers nephew crewed with us and stuck it out for one season - he was a teacher from California trying to make some extra cash during summer break.
    Alex - I thought I'd seen you somewhere before!

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  13. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I'd be the guy hovering underneath the upside-down trailer hitch on the stripper pole, right next to Bandy, hoping one of them would fall off into our laps...:D

14. Greg Armstrong

... well, did they?

15. Greg Armstrong

if we don't watch ourselves here we might just hyjack this thread.
    Apologies to you, Gary!

16. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Gary if you do any early childhood Ed my wife's school has a great residency, the pay is crap but the experience is great, they work on a novel curriculum every year, it is a one-year program. I have often thought how much fun we would have had I chosen teaching, that summers off thing is just so fantastic.

Hmm...you got my ear Brian...what specialty are we talking here- Radiation Oncology, Derm, Anesthesia, Ophtho, Radiology? Most guys I know are nowhere near that unless they are doing a butt-load of procedures and skimming only the well insured. No medicare, no medicaid. Forgettabout that sort of cash in primary care...

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I see you have spent some time in the same institutions of higher educations as I have, social studies were always my favorite course of study in my youth.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  18. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Example i gave is an ER doc who is compensated on fee-for-service basis at really posh hospital on the coast in Southern California (where EVERYONE is probably well insured). I don't want to get too much more specific than that. I know he does have to pay his own malpractice insurance, which i'm guessing takes a big hunk out of his payday :).

I have two other ER doc friends who are at other hospitals in the same county, are not in "fee for service" and they don't make nearly that much. Having said that, I'm guessing they are still comfortably north of 200K so i don't worry they will be calling me asking for beer money any time soon.....

My cousin is an anesthesiologist, also in coastal SoCal. He seems to do quite well and has a good work-life balance too.

wadin' boot likes this.
  19. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

Nice. Congrats. Just got my MIT from UW Seattle. Good luck in your studies, and remember to take care of your mental well-bing by going fly-fishing. Go DAWGS!

20. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Nice job weird. I considered the UW Seattle program, but I thought the Bothell program suited my interests and situation better. Both are really good programs. Where did you do your student teaching?