Scuds

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Anybody fish them on a regular basis?

I never have. Been reading up on them. Looks like they come in several flavors.

Curved hooks and straight hooks, gray, tan and olive, size 12 thri 14?

Am I on track or way off base?

Want to fish some this summer.
  2. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Hi Charlie-

IMO having scud patterns in your fly box is smart. However, I can think of only a few destinations in WA where a scud imitation might be described as the "go to" fly.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for the input, I was thinking of Dry Falls. Perhaps a few other dry side lakes? Is this wrong?

ED: Thinking more of a backup fly than a premier fly.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,657 / 0
    Try scuds in RFC. They do work there. Olive color works I've been told.
  5. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    size 16 too.

gray and olive.

I find that the store bought scuds work as well or better than anything I have tied as a scud.

Jay
  6. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Looks like a road trip is in order.
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +205 / 0
    Scuds at DF, yep. I watched a fish keep bumping into the reeds. Tried a couple of flies and then went to a scud. First cast right next to the reeds, fish on. There are some other lakes up in the Okanogan that are full of scuds. Stop at Desert Fly on the way up to DF and you will see BIG scuds that can be used on DF.
  8. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    rocky ford version of a yarnie is all
  9. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    These are two Rickards nymphs that can be effective as scuds in basin lakes:
    Rickards_Callibaetis_Nymph-Grey.jpg Stillwater1.JPG

In my experience scuds don't show up all that often in throat samples but I see them in the shallows and these patterns can be very effective.
  10. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for the patterns. Looks like something I could try. Should work other places also.

I guess the best solution is to tie is a couple and try them out.
  11. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    Maybe. I spent five years just fishing two flies. One was a scud the other a black marabou leech. The only thing I changed was the fly lines and my technique. When I switched to fishing other flies my catch rate really did not change that much. Chronomids are the exception to the rule. But if I am going to fish with a bobber I usually will use a worm.

Granted I lived in Colville for part of the time and it is really easy to catch fish in that neck of the woods. The scud fly works in the basin.

It is my go to fly.
  12. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    I only use them two places. RF and a high mountain lake where the westslopes get fat on them. I found a pond once near the Canadian border that was so chock full of huge scuds that the brookies, though plentiful, were so gorged on them they wouldn't look at anything I tried.
  13. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Had good luck with the black marabou leach patterns. Maybe I will add in the scud and fish in the basin. Like that part of the state anyway.
  14. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +638 / 2
    Don't forget a few patterns with an orange spot in the belly to imitate eggs, also brighten up's darker scud patterns to be seen better at distance.

I have a few eastern Oregon lakes that have masses of "GREY" scuds in them. The trout always taste better in scud-rich waters and are very healthy and deep bodied. In lakes with the grey scuds when my chiro's stop working it's my go-to indi fly weighted with a orange puff in the middle. They have a lot of different scud back material in the shops, I lean toward a "SHINNY" scud back material for better "fish spotting" under water and down deep.

The problem I find with them is that fish have to swim real close to them to actually spot them if tied without any shine or orange. Reason why I think white bead chiro's work so well is they pull fish in from a much greater distance with the white bead than a lot of other "SMALL" patterns will in such big areas as we fish in lakes.

On green river below flaming gorge a #18 pink with orange tail rocks!

It's easy to find out if the lake your at has scuds, just pull up some weeds and finger through it and the scuds should be easy to see telling you what color to use. I also tie them a size or two larger than the natural when they are real small so they can be seen better. most times the trout don't mind the larger pattern!
  15. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks fellows for the great info. One more question, does the scud hook or a straight hook have a lot of influence on the effectiveness of the fly? I guess I could tie both, but i have come to believe that the method of fishing it is determined by a resting scud and an active (swimming) scud
  16. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Scuds vary in size. Size twelve through sixteen are the usual that are bought commercially but scuds can get up to size eight. Rocky Ford has fairly large scuds, so I tie my own and fish size 8 and 10 at the Ford. I believe I catch as many fish as anyone else. I have caught them on size 16 at Rocky Ford but the larger sizes seem to work better for me. Though I had friend that out fished me using a size 14 once. But do remember that with scuds, matching the size is important.
  17. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,593 / 0
    I honestly don't use scuds much but evidently they work quite well on the Crooked River in Oregon.

They are supposed to work great in some lakes ... so far, that hasn't held true for me.

Dave Hughes claims that scuds should be tied on a straight shank or slightly curved shank hook because when the scuds swim around, they are not curved in the least. However, as Keith said, matching the size is probably more critical than hook design.
    Taxon likes this.
  18. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Well, the game plan is to tie them on both types of hook, sizes from 10 to 18 starting with grey bodies. Will mix in a few tan patterns when I get the drift on how well they work for me and what seems to be best.
  19. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    Mine are green with brown hackle.

Never used another color that worked or a curved hook. I had some grey scud flies, but they NEVER worked.

I suspect that green thing I use is just close enough to match a whole mess of stuff. Most of the time they are probably taking it for something else than a scud.

Trout have very small brains.....if it looks like tasty food they will probably eat it.
    Irafly likes this.
  20. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I never understood why GIL'S MONSTER worked so well in Dry Falls either. Just about anything olive was somewhat successful.