Scuds

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Jan 16, 2014.

1. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,003 / 0
    I tried scuds several times at that lake for that same reason. Never had any luck. I did best there with chironomids or damsle nymphs.
    Bob Rankin likes this.
  2. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +523 / 0
    When I guided the Missouri River, scuds showed up in every sample I seined from the river. Below Holter Dam in the weeds, they were everywhere and made up a huge percentage of the biomass there.

When we had high water years, the larger Gammarus was the predominant scud. In drought, thin water years, the Hyalella took over.

I used to tie intricate patterns with shellbacks. I figured out a couple of things. One, when the Gammarus starts dying it turns a reddish/orangeish color. I changed from tying them with olive dubbing to pink. I had clients who were newbies to fly fishing and they'd get lots of hook ups and fish with this pattern. Second, the pattern had a better behavior and was more productive without the shellback. Third, you have to weight it and get it down in the water column.

Here's the recipe for the ones I tie.

When the Hyalella took over, I switched over to a smaller (18 - 20s) hook and dubbed with with a iridescent golden dubbing.

Trapper
    Mark Kraniger and FinLuver like this.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +355 / 0
    I am just naturally curious. I will take a gander at the book while I wait for Momma at the doctors this morning. I bought some dubbing while I was over at Orvis last week. It is a gray/bluish color. Looked good for scuds. Will try that also. One of the great things about tying flies is you can play around with the colors, materials and hooks.

I just ordered a fly box for the scuds so I can pick and choose and those that work, well, they will get more work.

I really appreciate all the helpful info you guys have sent my way.
    If I ever figure out how to post pictures on this clunker computer, I will share.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  4. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +163 / 1

Back in the day that was a great little lake. The scuds were so thick by the boat put in. That is we're I would fish, just kicking around in my tube. Ell was always my last stop on my drive back to the coast( when I still lived there).
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks, That looks good enough for me to eat.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +897 / 1
    T
    There WAS a first edition of Kamloops at the Kingsgate Library.... I kept eyeballing that book, questioning my ethics..... and finally someone who answered that question for himself absconded with the book.
  7. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    i have a lot of success using a #18 tied with dk grey muskrat and a small red head. seems to be appealing to rainbows and browns!
  8. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +914 / 1
    That will make a great micro leech for the traditional opener non-selective fisheries after the fish have gained a taste for power bait. I'll hang one under an indicator.
    troutpocket likes this.
  9. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +194 / 0
    My daughter tied a bunch of flies when she was four.

She did not want to tie the same fly....twice. And she hated drab colors like black and olive. Pink was a favorite color. Somewhere I still have her "fly box".

I think that fly is one of the ones she tied!!! Wow, who knew she was ahead of her time at four!!!
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  10. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    I tie mine with about 3 wraps of lead, goldish/olive dubbing, gold wire and brownish hackle(full palmered). After the hackle and wire are in place, I clip off almost all of the hackle except ten/twelve fibers on the belly. Very fast and very effective. I have used this pattern over 40 years. Also....if I only have longer hackle at hand, I don't worry, just trim to length.
    FinLuver likes this.
  11. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Scud caught! Dead drift a scud in the evening about three feet under an indicator (the little orange stick on type) 100_0264.jpg
  12. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    My quick scud. You can be as artistic as you want. This always produces. IMGP1876.JPG
  13. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +194 / 0
    Hey, that's my FLY!!!

Only thing I do different......red head if it is weighed, and black head if unweighed.

Really like tying the fly. After a couple bottles of wine.....just as easy if not easier to tie.
    Grayone likes this.
  14. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Well, I dug out my book KAMLOOPS, by Mr. Steve Raymond, published in 1980 as the second edition.

On page 151, he describes the GOLDEN SHRIMP.
    Size 10 or 12 hook.
    Olive or tan monocord thread,
    Body Golden olive rayon floss (Manufacturer's number 163)
    He does not elaborate on what Manufacturer or specifics.
    Tail, legs and antennae are Ginger hackle.
    The rib is fine gold wire.

He also list a bodacious collection of other "shrimp" as he refers to the scud patterns.

That said, I like the simple approach to the patterns, but look forward to field testing them this spring and summer.
  15. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +897 / 1
    Apparently Danville still catalogs that floss color. I didn't think it was still available.
  16. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Not as brilliant as some of the other gold colors.
  17. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +82 / 0
    Thanks OB...I think I might have a spool of the "specific" floss!!

btw...did Raymond's book tell how to assemble the Golden Shrimp?

If not, I'll try to post it this weekend.
  18. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    In my book, there was no illustration or narrative of construction, All it gave was the material list. On a previous page he gives a brief description of how shrimp, (scuds), are assembled, but nothing definitive.
  19. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Maybe tonight I will drag out the vise and tie some with the dubbing I got over at Orvis earlier this week. It is called a rainbow mix but looks more gray with red and blue highlights. An interesting color. I also have some orange dubbing I want to try.

In weighting the hook, should I wrap it or just lay out a strip on the hook shank? Probably get more weight with wrapping it. What do you guys think and do? Maybe five or six turns at the center of the hooK?
  20. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +695 / 0
    The guy who taught me to fly fish in Colorado was into scud patterns, probably because he used to fish some of the tailwaters there that had them. I didn't know much about fly patterns at the time and found that some of his recommended olive scud patterns worked as a generic nymph in waters that didn't have scuds in them.

Following Dave Hughes advice (noted by Gene above), I tie 'em on straight shank hooks. I use simple patterns with picked out dubbing and a plastic shellback with monophilament ribbing. The tail and other feathers on these probably don't make a bit of difference to the fish, but the pattern seemed too simple without 'em.

D

olive scud.crop.jpg orange scud.crop.jpg