Sea run cutts off Whidbey Island

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by fowie, Jun 11, 2013.

1. fowie New Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    It just so happened that I planned my family camping trip over free fishing weekend, so I figured I'd sneak away and try for some sea run cutts. We were camped at South Whidbey Island SP, and I'd read that there is some decent fishing from there for sea runs. I tried for an hour or so, and saw a few fingerlings jumping, but didn't get any hits. I was fishing a wooly bugger with sinking line and 3x tippet. Should have had some weight probably to get it down faster.

Granted I spent most of the time teaching a friend to cast, but any recommendations on how to better fish that part of the sound for sea run cutthroat?

At least I got to try out my new boots! Just good to get the line wet.

Spencer
    Fly fishing gear reviews and giveaways, about time!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Driftwater-Reviews/452667461473475
  2. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    I don't expect you will find many sea run cutthroat at that beach but possibly a resident coho or even a early returning Sockeye. Now of course it is the salt, and you never know what could take your fly!

Have fun fishing Whidbey!
  3. Ybsong Member

Seattle, wa
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    You don't need to get down too deep for SRC. They probably just weren't there that day. When they are, you usually see a few jumps or swirls. I've caught many SRC with Wooly Buggers, in fact one of my favorite flies is essentially bugger with weighted eyes. I usually fish my floating line, many prefer intermediate. Play around with stripping speed, but often the quick strips are more productive. You also always want to throw some bait fish patterns. My classic rotation of SRC flies: Buggerish, Baitfish, Shrimpy. Most SRC flies are size 6 or 8 hook sizes. Depending on the size of the tides, my favorite times to fish are an hour or two before and after a tidal change (some beaches are better on the incoming or outgoing, so it's worth fishing both). Trout like moving water, but not too fast. The faster the current the deeper you should go. Just like water, if they aren't there, find some new water up or down the beach. Good luck, keep at it. It's a great fishery. ybs
    wanative likes this.