Seek Heavy Nymph Rig Line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dude_1967, Nov 17, 2013.

1. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

Hi Folks,

Which floating, weight-forward line can be used for heavy nymph rig fishing with 9 and 10 weight rods?

Typically, I use Rio Indicator Lines up to WF8F. But this line seems to top out at weight 8. I would like to load 9 and 10 weight rods with nymph rigs. Does anyone know which line might be suited for nymph fishing 9 and 10 weight rods?

Thank you, Chris.

2. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I would get SA Textured GPX floating. I use GPX Sharkskin WF7F for big junk and love it. Textured is less annoying though.

3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Check out the Airflo Speydicator.

dude_1967 likes this.
  4. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

The description sounds about right for my kind of dredging in those situations.

Can the line be used with a single handed rod?

Do you match the weight class with the weight of the rod or do you under-load it or over-load it?

Thanks, Chris.

5. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:

You're definitely going to want to underline for a sh rod. Probably by at least two weights. You should also know the line is HUGE and probably won't fit on your current reel without cutting off a portion of the running line.

Anil likes this.
  6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    You can do the same thing with the Rio "Switch" line. The original "Switch" line does a great job with that kind of thing and it's fairly easy to get the right size, by going down 2 full sizes: (the 7/8 switch should be consider a 9/10 single hand line.) Since it's made up to a 8/9, you should be able to line single hand rods up to 11 weights.
    Underachiever is right though, like the Speydicator, all lines like this take up a large amount of room since they are both fatter and carry a longer belly.

dude_1967 likes this.
  7. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

Thanks for these astute insights, folks. Actually, I think I need to get a few different weights of switch rods. I could switch those lines on single handed rods and switch rods. Considering all thy nymph fishing and mending I do (90%), this seems like a good development for me. I never really thought of that before --- even for trout, a new experience for me.

Gotta go get some rods, lines and reels in the next year or so...

Thanks so much for these keen insights.

Chris