September Montana advice needed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by nwtroutguy, Jun 23, 2014.

1. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

Have a trip planned to Montana in the 3rd week of September. We will ride bikes on the Lolo Hiawatha Trail and then squeeze some fishing after that. May head up towards Glacier or stay around Missoula. Looking to catch some cutties and hopefully some browns on streamers.

Not looking for the secret place, just a general area where my wife and I can do some walk and wade or maybe a guided float.

Any advice given is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jamie

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Well it's no secret, but the Clark Fork will fish well... actually just about any stream you hit will fish well, in mid to late Sept.

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Clark Fork can be quite good that time of year as is the Bitterroot.

4. little rod

little rod Member

If you want to catch browns too, I would not head up to Glacier.
    ...and fish what they said.

5. 30+ years fishing here, I can give you some info on honey holes in the Missoula area. Call me 406-207-0673

6. From Lolo to Hamilton anywhere you can get in great areas on the Bitterroot.

7. Dennis Thomas

Dennis Thomas Active Member

If you are biking the Hiawatha Trail just west of the Montana/Idaho border off I90 then when you reach the bottom of the trail you will be on the forest service road that takes you to Avery and the St. Joe River. It is a premiere freestone river in north Idaho and has great cutthroat fishing. If you go that route, when you get to Avery, head upstream into the catch and release area and enjoy. If you are in the Lolo area then I would head over the pass and drop down into the Lochsa River drainage. Great fishing and doesn't get the pressure that the rivers around Missoula get. The Lochsa Lodge has some nice little cabins and a good restaurant. Spent the July 4th weekend there and caught some nice cutthroat.