SF Sno report (AKA: Best day EVER!)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mike Munro, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

I usually try to get out earlier in the day just so I can squeak my hours in and still have time for all the other crap that life demands, but this time I purposely chose to start later at around 3pm and worked the water until about 6 (I would've liked to stay even later, as golfman44 suggested). This will definitely be my strategy going forward.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  2. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

Munro, I was nice to meet you out on the river on Sunday evening. Did you get a chance to explore up stream a bit more? My son had fun even though we only got 2 fish in hand

3. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

Hey Jason, nice to meet you as well! Glad to hear that your son had fun...I can't wait to take my boy out for his first fishing excursion, hopefully about this same time next year!

I did make my way further upstream and found a few more decent spots. I had a bunch of strikes but only managed to get two more fish to hand (gotta dial in that hook-set). I turned back around 7:30 and worked some of the more productive pools on the way downstream, but it seems like the fish were done eating. In the end I managed to land six fish, but I feel like at least I'm starting to get a feel for this particular stretch of the river.

4. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    All this SF talk finally drove me to hit my normal haunt on that fork.

Started the evening by hitting The Pour House in North Bend - to let the sun drop down a bit :)

Hit the river around. 630 and the first fish I got into was amongst the largest I have caught on any fork and was the first on my 2wt. I will see if I can post the pic.

Got into 4 or 5 more fish but all were more of the prototypical small cutties.

All in all, a great night to break in they 2wt.

Stew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

golfman44 likes this.
  5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Ditto on all the South Fork talk. I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to go up for a picnic and a little fly fishing on Saturday, so we got her dog and some food and drink and headed up to my usual haunt on that fork. Landed a bunch of the typical size westslope cutthroat on a couple old-timey classics. Was successful with a dry fly working upstream: Montana Bucktail; had a great time catching fish on a classic wet fly working downstream: Parmachenie Belle.

Side note: observed the behavior of yellow sallies (and lime sallies) as they were emerging, skittering, flapping, trying to get their wings dried, and being slashed violently by cutties. I got to see at least half a dozen emerge in a particular spot, and it taught me a good little something. I'm currently reading a PDF version I found of "The Caddis and the Angler," and while sallies are in the stonefly family, the behavior and requisite fishing style for them was very similar to some stuff I was just reading as I try to improve my caddis fishing game. I've really gotta start presenting caddis and stonefly patterns from upstream when fishing emergences so I can get those 1 to 2 inch upstream skitters and pops that draw the slashing rises. I mean, dead drifts work okay, but caddis are not at all like mayflies behaviorally and I gotta quit fishing em that way. Ditto stone flies.

[​IMG]

Gary Knowels and Stew McLeod like this.
  6. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I did some exploration and fishing on a new section yesterday. On the water from 1:30-8:00. Between my buddy and I, we were pushing triple digits. 70% caught on a bastardized stimulator, I didn't have any 200R hooks in the right size so I tied up some olive stimies on a standard dry fly hook, size 14. From google map and previous experience on similar water, I needed something that floated better than the standard EHC. The other 30% were on a basic floss and partridge soft hackle dropper in either copper, amber, or black. My buddy did well on parachute adams too. I caught entirely coastal cutts and they were larger on average than I'd ever pulled out of the Snoqualmie. The wind was a pain in the ass on my 3 weight but it was still a fantastic day.

7. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

I was up there yesterday as well. Explored a bunch of spots starting up by Asahel-Curtis Rd, down to exit 38. I got a few good bites but I didn't get anything in my net. I was using an Adams and something that looked like a Royal Coachman. Great day. So nice to be on the water exploring...:)

I was on the water from 10-11am - 3ish pm. Sounds like I need to hit it a bit later next time

8. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

Munro, I have been also working on setting the hook better. We worked our way back down the river and had a ton a bites but they kept sneaking off. I think I will head to the exit east and explore more up there. Ill let you know how it goes.

9. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    On the forks the majority of hits are from really small fish who will attack a lot of dry flies. Not to say you are fishing perfectly but a lot of those "misses" are most likely just a really small fish hitting a fly they can barely even fit in their mouths (oftentimes they miss the fly completely). Nobody in the world can set a hook on some of those. This is especially true if you fish larger dries. I had this problem last yr and was told to sometimes intentionally fish larger dries for this very reason (keep the dinks off your line)

Don't think that you're bad at setting hooks or anything. You'll just find yourselves overdoing it and soon you will set a hook so hard that poor 5" bow will be flying over your head into the trees

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    If you're fishing dries and missing fish that are sizeable enough to consume your fly, it may be that you're setting too soon. With trout the size of the ones in the forks hook setting amounts to tightening the line or just a little more. As noted above, don't overdo it lest the trout become flying fish.

I found on Saturday that it was really fun, and very effective, to swing wet flies while fishing my way back down stream. In the clear water I could almost always see the trout come from hiding and attack the fly, and even when I couldn't, the tight line swing gave me instant feedback and hook sets without actively setting the hook.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  11. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Jim,

How do you attack swinging a wet fly in the boulder-pool pocketwater sections of the river? I find myself fishing those more often, and doing quite well with a bushy dry and soft hackle dropper, but don't know how I would swing through that type of water. Most of the time I have less than 15 feet of line out of the tip and am crouched behind/next to boulders.

12. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    I crouch down, often with only 5 or 6 feet of fly line out my tip top, and reach my rod out after I flip a short cast, follow the quartering cast with my rod tip... when it comes through the swing I give it a few more tantalizing strips or tip twitches, and repeat.

In really small fishy spots I'm damn near dapping.

Where there's more room to work, it's the standard stand cast and swing affair.

13. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    Google maps has the mainstem trinity river labeled as the south from here in CA. I dont trust it very much

14. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Right now is prime time on the S Fork. i have been dry fly fishing the south fork many years. The last two seasons , 2011 and 2012 were especially good in numbers and size of fish. For years, most trout were in the 3 inch to 5 inch range on most were cutties. In 2011 and 2012 I started seeing a better assortment of cutties, brookies and even rainbow, some of them in the 6-7 inche range which really puts a bend in the 2wt. A 7 inch fish in the upper reaches of the s fork is a trophy to be admired. If you are lucky enough to hook a trout over 6 inches be thankfull .... I fished for years before breaking he 6 inch mark.

My fist 3 trips this season were disappointing. Not even 10% of the numbers or size of fish caught during prime season last year. It has been geeting much better. Yesterday my experience was like the 2012 and 2013 seasons, so I am confident it will be another good August and Septemenber on the S Fork. at lease 25% of the fish were 5 inches or over, with a few in the 7 inch range. Lots of cutties, brookies and a larger share of rainbows. I love the rainbows, they go beserk when they hit a dry fly.

Evening - 6 pm to dark can turn the lame pools into dry fly hotspots. I have fished over pools in early afternoon with dry flies without one hit, then fished them on my way back to the car just before dark and had a rise to the dry fly on every cast.

My hookup to missed opportunity is at least 1 in 10 on this river. It is frustrating but nice to know the fish are interested in my fly.

Dabbing in and around downed timber is very fun. I tried it last night and had a blast. Fish were attacking flies in water just over ankle deep with wood cover. They continually darted out from the the cover into the skinny water, smashed my fly, jumped over my fly and made for great entertainment. Fish landed in the 15 min of dabbing 0. Fun was a 10. Most fish were smallish, 3-4 inches but a few were pushing 5 inches. A few were hooked for 1-2 seconds but shook off.

I use a limber 2wt, and even with that if I set the hook too hard the 4" fish fly over my head. I did that twice yesterday. Those scrappy little guys like to grab the fly at the last moment as I am launching the line out of the water to make another cast. Always surprises both of us.

Kent Lufkin and golfman44 like this.
  15. ICHI

ICHI Member

My first time on the S Fork last night. See them rise casted dry right to em, two small ones, fun. Can't wait to go back and cover more spots.

16. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

What kind of 3wt were you using?