NFR SF Stilly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by AndrewS, Jul 2, 2014.

1. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

First time thread post here . . .

. . . Wondering if anyone out there has any tips on nymphing the SF of the Stillaguamish near Granite Falls. I am heading up river after work tonight at 6pm to try my hand at a few spots that look intriguing on a map. I have never waded any parts of the SF before. So if you have any suggestions of where to go or what to rig up please let me know. I am bringing both a 5 and 6 wt setup with my nymph and dry fly boxes.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

be ready for very clear water - almost unlimited viz in most cases

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

dont be surprised if you find Mr Steelface in the darker shadier areas :)

AndrewS likes this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Where ever you can gain access above Verlot you should be good to go. Or at the Blue Bridge.

5. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

Thanks, Old Man. I talked a buddy into coming out with me about an hour ago. He had some luck on Pilchuck Creek yesterday, caught a decent size cutty. I'll let you guys know how we do.

6. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

Black ehc.

AndrewS likes this.
  7. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Can't remember which it is but one of the pilchucks is closed.

As for the sf stilly it gets better through august/sept

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The creek is open the river isn't.

rory and golfman44 like this.
  9. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

Waded just below the bridge around 7:45 pm. Got a late start but the river looked great. We saw something roll just down river from the bridge so my buddy laid down some drys. Didn't get too much time on the water. No action at all. Regardless, great day to get out and work on some casting.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

And into the evening also

golfman44 likes this.
  11. jfkkesler

jfkkesler Member

There is a nice little spot just past Verlot. I pulled the steelhead in my avatar out of that hole. One of my favorite little spots to fish.

12. Such a great looking river, but I've never had much luck for anything larger than 8". Love fishing it though. SF Stilly...it's not you, it's me. JFK...you give me hope.

13. jfkkesler

jfkkesler Member

Just took a trip to the SF Stilly, still pretty high and fast. Threw small dries for anything that would bite, and had almost no luck. Here's our one landed fish (played some others). Beautiful scenery though!

Attached Files:

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Try the evening up above Silverton. Always had good luck up there when I fished it. Or the S/F of the Sauk from Monte Cristo lake up stream.

15. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Jim goto bed.stop muttering gibberish!! Ain't no fish nowhere

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to live close to that water. I could go there day or evening and have fun. I have caught lots of fish out of that river. You have to know when to go to catch fish and where to fish it at and what time to do it. I had that river dialed in pretty good. But I got skunked good also. But if I don't catch anything, so be it. I did have fun doing it.