Article SFR Applicable to outdoor gear

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Lex Story, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

Richard Torres and RubberLegs123 like this.
  2. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

Where can I get this stuff?

3. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

That's an interesting vid but it doesn't answer the question about how this DWR coating differs from anything else.

I can't even find that info on their homepage: http://www.spillcontainment.com/everdry

Also, how "environmentally friendly" is this stuff?

I know lots of DWRs are chemically sorta nasty but is this stuff any different? :confused:

I also liked this comment from the YouTube vid:

"So what, I've been having this effect on women for years"

:D

4. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Amazing stuff Lex.
    I didn't look into who makes it, do you know?
    I'd like to know how long the repellancy lasts and if it's also UVA UVB resistant.

5. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

The stuff looks pretty interesting. Looks like it has been out since the first of the year. I showed this to my daughter who is a snowboard clothing designer. She said she would have her people get the scoop on it.

Lex Story likes this.
  6. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Forget snowboard clothes- I wanna use it on dry flies. Of course how environmentally friendly it is might have something to do with that. I can think of plenty of other uses for something like that too.

Just a word to the wise about using it on gear and clothing- most outdoor gear made these days already has a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coating applied, whether or not the gear is meant to be waterproof or water resistant. The coating's applied to the outer surface of the clothing, sleeping bag, backpack, pants, or whatever. It is not the same as the waterproof/breathable layer like Gore-Tex, EVent, Membrane, KeenDry, DryQ, or many others that are out there now. Those layers are applied to the inside of the face fabric. The DWR works in conjunction with the waterproof/breathable layer to make the breathable part of the equation work better. If the outside of the garment were to "wet out" it would still be waterproof, but breathability goes down the tubes. Evaporation from your body runs into the wall of water on the garment and can't get through. You would feel cold, clammy and wet even though water isn't getting to your skin. Care and feeding of DWR coated gear is something everyone should learn a little about- it'll make your stuff perform like it should for many years if taken care of correctly. Sometimes at work I'll take a cup of water and pour it on something to demonstrate what the DWR coating does, which is the same thing it does in the video Lex posted. The Marmot rep likes to do this when he does sleeping bag clinics. He'll start a thirty minute clinic by pouring a cup of water on a bag, and at the end of the clinic he'll scoop the water back into the cup and wipe the bag. The bag is perfectly dry. So long story short, I wouldn't go putting the stuff in the video on outdoor gear without knowing what it is. It's likely your gear doesn't need it anyway, and there are products out there made specifically for your gear that do the same thing. The video shows it being used on boots, but I'd wanna know if there's any long term effects to the leather. You know, stuff like that. It's a two part coating so it might totally block breathability, but I don't know that for sure. More research is in order.

Steve Call likes this.