SFR - ID help.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by dflett68, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Maybe someone here will know what this is? We have a ton of voles in the fields around our house. Our cat kills probably a dozen a week this time of year. But this morning we found one that had not been killed by the cat. The cat catches them, beheads them, eats select portions, and leaves the rest. This one was whole, seemed to have crawled out of the field and died on the driveway. Some kind of pupae burrowed out of it's abdomen and this appears to have killed it. I found a mouse in this same condition last year, same pupae exiting it's body through the abdomen. Does anyone know what this thing is?

Thanks,
    D

volealien.jpg

2. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

looks like it's a rodent bot fly pupa, cuterebra emasculator. i guess the latin name, with the picture above, says it all. nasty.

3. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

dear sweet lord...

4. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

If you like to cringe head to youtube and search for bot fly or cuterebra.....some epic videos of people pulling them out of other people.

5. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

yeah. those are the human bot fly, south america only from what i read. the ones i'm seeing are the rodent bot fly, and they are nasty enough. when i got home from work and re-examined the vole, i found several more pupae had emerged from the same animal. unspeakably nasty.

6. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

This seems to be a gift that just keeps giving.:( No offense intended, but I simply can't stomach reading another word on this gruesome subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.