NFR She's Coming Home Soon...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Moore, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    We adopted a GSP/mix about 3-1/2 years ago, let's just say it's been an adventure. We had just lost our Blue Heeler/Lab mix to a self important Mercedes driver speeding down a dead end country road. Pretty much one of the hardest days of my life and I have no idea how parents who lose a child cope after that.

Anyway, this dog has been a challenge all around but we had managed until about 6 months ago when she took a decided turn for the worse. In early March I had pretty much decided she would have to go, this against the quite strenuous objections of my wife, who by now I was considering sending with the dog where ever it might be that she was sent. I really do love the dog but she was just getting too destructive, she wasn't any happier than me so it was time for a change.

A friend told us about the great success they had with a local trainer so we decided to give it one last try...and another $1100.00. Six weeks ago tomorrow we dropped her off at "Man's Best Friend" in Battleground, WA. She comes home Wednesday and I can't wait. If it goes as well as promised, I will have a fishing buddy again, just in time for spring.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

Attached Files:

constructeur likes this.
  2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Mark,I'd be interested to hear. We had a dog in a similar situation and had considered using that trainer. In the end we had to give up that dog (wasn't safe around children), but this may be helpful for others.

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Impressive dedication! Admirable in my opinion, although I know others will think you're crazy. Best of luck.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  4. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I hope all goes well. Nothing like having a pet in the house. Some days they just make you feel good for no reason at all.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    We'll hope for the best outcome. I can't imagine being without my girls. Dogs see in all of us, the humans they know we can be!

Eyejuggler likes this.
  6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I commend your effort. If we could emulate the person our dog thinks we are, wouldn't it be grand>

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Sorry to hear about your other dog. Good on you for not giving up on the current one -- many people would not opt to make that level of investment and/or might not be able too. Looking forward to hear of the success.

8. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    Well, she came home yesterday and man what a difference. The trainer at "Man's Best Friend" (her name is Ora) is so thorough and patient....with the dog's owners. I think the dog was less of a challenge for her. The anxiety is gone and she seems happy, which is a very pleasant change.

For those who asked, I would give an unqualified recommendation of the trainer. They are no nonsense but that's just what we needed.

Now, time to get into the woods and do some fishing. :)

Freestone and Brett Angel like this.
  9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Glad that it worked-out well, Mark. Now enjoy your furry friend.

10. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Great...hope it works out. We adopted a GSP on a trip to Utah. She was the sweetest dog you could ask for. She was a typical GSP and needed her exercise and she could go all day!!!!

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You guys and your initials. Since I'm not into dog breeds I had to look up what GSP was. It's really bad in this day and age when somebody can't type the whole name out in the beginning and then use the initials in the body of your paragraph.

Us old people are somewhat stupid. We forget all we learned as a youngster.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  12. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    It looks like it could mean "Grumpy Senior Person" .....

Just sayin' :)

NCL likes this.