Silica Gel packects

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaiserman, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +431 / 0
    I was getting out my daily vitamins, and one the silica gel packet came out. I grabbed it, and tossed it aside for my fly boxes. Then I got to thinking how many other guys know about the great use of these things, so here I am telling you.

Everyone has fallen victim to the "rotten fly". You know, the ones you forgot to dry out, before putting them back into the fly box. Then the next trip out, you have a possible rotten fly, where the material is still wet and the hackle/marabou is falling apart, or a rusty hook.

You can find them in just about everything these days. Vitamin bottles, OTC drugs, shoe boxes, new electronic equipment boxes, etc.

Save those little silica gel packs, and put them in with your flies. It's worked really well for me.

Of course, I'm sure many here are already aware of this little "trick", but just thought I'd share just in case someone doesn't know. :)
    Irafly likes this.
  2. jake-e-boy Banned or Parked

Ratings: +227 / 0
    just fyi, they do expire.

I use them to keep ammo dry.
  3. TonyZ Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I poke holes in the top of film canisters and fill them with dry-z-air for each drawer of my tool box and cabinets.

i love the packet idea for fly boxes, thanks!
  4. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    I have to admit I throw them in my feather drawers and camera pack, but I suspect it doesn't matter. I don't put anything away until appropriately dry anyway.

I would love to see some real data as to what area a given packet will absorb humidity from and for how long. Maybe a study with measured amounts of water absorbed over time in an enclosed space? I've read they can be "recharged" by baking in an oven, but I guess you'd have to weigh them periodically to determine how saturated they are with moisture.

Honestly, I think most of this is voodoo that makes us feel like we're doing something smart.
  5. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +431 / 0
    Huh, didn't know that. However, I couldn't find anything about silica gel beads going bad or expiring. If they get wet, I'm sure they're no good anymore (obviously) - although, from what I'm reading, you can just let them dry out, then they're good to go again.

More investigating must take place... :)

I change mine out every couple years or so and have been fine.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,685 / 0
    You can make your own with a coffee filter. Cut the filter to the desired size, fold, add Silica crystals you purchased from a craft store, seal the filter with tape.
  7. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,102 / 0
    I have a dedicated coffee grinder that I use to blend dubbing. When I collect a few packets of silica gel I grind the contents into a powder and use it to replace the Shimazaki Dry Shake on my vest that I dip wet flies into to dry them out. It may not be as good as the Shimazaki but it doesn't cost $12 for 1/2 oz either. And it does dry flies.

Ive
    Duane J and Irafly like this.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ive, very good idea.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    How do we know that you can't grind this stuff into fine powder and use it to dry out flies?

[IMG]
  10. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +332 / 0
    Craft stores sell a flower drying powder by the half and quarter pound for just a few bucks. It's a silica dry powder. I have a tin from 15 years that's still going strong.
    Kaiserman likes this.
  11. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I bought a big bag of silica at walmart and made my own packs for the ammo cans, gun cabinet and tying supplies. This stuff is just straight silica crystals. I throw them in the oven at 200* for an hour or two every 6 months to dry out any moisture they might have absorbed.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mimi-Litter-Cat-Litter-4-lb-Cats/12018928
    Kaiserman likes this.
  12. silvercreek Active Member

Ratings: +207 / 0
    Silica gel is very easy to "recharge"

You do need to remove it from any packaging. Place it loose in a glass or small ceramic dish, Put it in the microwave and turn it on for about 30 seconds. The popping sound is the absorbed water turnign to steam and cracking the gel crystals,

Allow to cool and you are good to go.

Shimazaki Dry Shake and Loon OutdoorsTop Ride are a combination of the silica gel drying agent and the powder floatant. After the floatant powder is all gone and the large crystals of silica gel are left, you can renew them by microwaving the the silica gel and adding more floatant powder.

You can get the silica gel from those dry pacs in electronic equipment but I buy mine in bulk. It is used to dry flowers.

You can buy Silica Gel here:

http://www.jakesmp.net/CSD_Silica_Gel/CSD_Silica_013_M.html

You can reactivate the silica gel but I use the microwave:

http://www.jakesmp.net/CSD_Silica_Gel/CSD_Silica_008_M.html