Simon from Russia coming to Washington

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Katja_Aspect, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Katja_Aspect

Katja_Aspect New Member

Dear Fly Fishing Community,

I am Katja from Aspect Foundation, an international student exchange non-profit and I am reaching out to you with a bit of an unusual question: I'm trying to find a host family for an exchange student from Russia who will be coming to study in the United States for the 2014-2015 high school year. Simon is 15 years old and he greatly enjoys fishing in the sea and in lakes so I think he would make a wonderful addition to a fly fishing family. He greatly enjoys doing all sorts of sports, but also enjoys cooking and being part of the drama group at his school at home. His parents describe him as a kind, friendly and mature young man. We have a very brief profile set up for Simon here:

http://services.aspectfoundation.org/st/index.php/st_search/profile/UY4-RBA-501-M

Federal regulations prevent us from sharing any more details about Simon with the general public. If anyone in the fly fishing community is potentially interested in hosting him, we ask that you please fill out an inquiry on our homepage:

http://services.aspectfoundation.org/hf … hf_inquiry

Once your family has been screened, you can view Simon’s full application along with his pictures. In the meantime, you can already read Simon’s letter on his public profile.

As a host families you will be required to provide three meals a day, some sort of transportation to school (which can be a school bus, a ride with another student or giving them a ride themselves should the high school be on their way to work, for example) and a bed for Simon (which can be in a shared room with a host brother of about the same age or in private room). But most importantly it's welcoming Simon as a member of your family for whom the same rules, chores and rights apply. Due to legal regulations we are not allowed to compensate the families for hosting. However, host families can claim a $50 tax exemption for each month they host. For all other activities or special food requirements our students bring their own spending money.

If a family quite understandably hesitates to commit to hosting Simon for an entire school year, but would still be interested in hosting, they may be interested in becoming a Welcome Family for Simon. This way they would help Simon get settled at school and in the community during his first month in the US.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions about hosting Simon or about the general idea of hosting a foreign exchange student. You can reach me by phone at 800-879-6884 or by email at foundation@aspectfoundation.org. The Aspect Foundation has been promoting cross-cultural engagement through study abroad for 30 years. I was actually a German exchange student myself in Wisconsin 15 years ago with the Aspect Foundation so I know first hand what a wonderful and rewarding (and most of the time life-long) experience hosting a foreign exchange student can be for both the student and the host family.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to reach out to you! I greatly appreciate your consideration and am looking forward to answering any questions you may have.

Best regards,
    Katja

Katja Fleck
    Aspect Foundation

Email foundation@aspectfoundation.org
    Free 800-879-6884
    Tel 415-228-8050

Fax 415-228-8051

Students: Explore our Study Abroad Opportunities!

Families: View our New Students and Apply to Host Online!

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  2. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Tell ya what, I'm going to respond to those Nigerian emails stating that I have $1 million waiting for me and that I just have to give them my bank account information to make the transfer…sounds legit right?…. In all seriousness, there must be some contacts at the school level that the Aspect Foundation can reach out to, that would be more appropriate in finding Симон a home?

3. Katja_Aspect

Katja_Aspect New Member

Dear Scottybs,

Thank you so much for your interest! The high school our students attend solely depends on in which school district the potential host family lives so we try to reach out to the community directly in order to find a family first and then subsequently enroll the student at the respective high school. I have spoken to the presidents of the Alpine Fly Fishers in Sumner and the Northwest Fly Anglers in Seattle and they thought it a good way to spread the word if I reached out to the fly fishing community directly by posting on the fly fishing forum here. Since I believe that Simon would be a wonderful addition to a family who is like him interested in fishing, I have posted my inquiry here in the hopes of finding an interested family in the fishing community. I am truly sorry if my inquiry has been cause for any offense or seemed in any way deceitful. I deeply apologize for any misunderstanding. Please, do let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincere regards,

Katja

Katja Fleck
    Aspect Foundation

Free 800-879-6884
    Tel 415-228-8050

Fax 415-228-8051

4. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Katja,

My sincere best wishes that you're able to find Simon a home that give him the opportunity to experience a "culture" far from home and that can broaden his horizons, maybe even throw some line. Exchange students can be a neat experience for a family (we had several and I was as well) and create lifelong friendships. In regards to your initial post, it was a little outside the norm of posting but I see nothing wrong. Good luck

Scott

5. Katja_Aspect

Katja_Aspect New Member

Scott,

Thank you very much for your kind words! Having been an exchange student myself, I couldn't agree more with everything that you have said. I am also very glad to read that you have had a great hosting experience yourself. It can indeed be a most wonderful experience for both the student and their host family.

Warm regards,
    Katja

Katja Fleck
    Aspect Foundation

Free 800-879-6884
    Tel 415-228-8050

Fax 415-228-8051

6. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Bump
    As I suggested the OP come here and post. I thought it a great opportunity for someone.

Bob Triggs likes this.