Size 24 Elk Hair Caddis and a few others

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by james.jimenez, Aug 5, 2013.

1. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +234 / 0
    Just wanted to share these.. I got a little bored watching TV and decided to tie up a few size 24 Elk Hair Caddis. I am just beginning my adventure in dry fly tying and not very familiar with how to choose the right feather for the hook size. I have also attached other pictures of flies I ties yesterday. In the box are some size 16 and 24 CDC caddis. On the table are two size 16 Elk Hair Caddis and size 16/18 modified red butts.. Any suggestions on how to improve will be greatly appreciated... Thanks for looking

Attached Files:

kelvin and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +133 / 0
    Those looks pretty good for being new to dry fly. The only suggestions I'd make is shorten the hair so its to the bend of the hook and use smaller hackle.
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +763 / 0
    thats pretty much what mine looked like a few years ago. you'll get more consistent and cleaner in no time. beware of the thousands of dollars you can spend in a few years on tying materials though.
    also try the macro setting on your camera.:)
  4. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0

I second the short wing. I also second the macro setting on your camera.

However, that said, I think I'll tie some special #16s that have a yellow or lime green body to nail down the emerging sallies - stone or not, EHC with long wing seems like the ticket, fished from upstream position to 1-inch twitch and draw slashy rises.

I'd also recommend not cutting CDC - let it be natural, it will move better.

One other thing: tie your palmered hackles from the front back, and rib the hackle forward from back to front with wiggles that allow the rib to get between and not grab fibers.

Once you have the head, hackle and hair wing solid, with a little head cement on it, you'll end up with unmunchable EHC that I haven't even knocked on wood and still catches trout after a year or more. Waiting to tie on the other two I tied up thinking it would break down eventually!