Skating Flies for Trout...?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Thomas Williams, May 16, 2013.

1. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    Will it work? Has anyone tried it? Watched a video of a guy doing it in Europe and saw him hook up. Got me thinking of tying up some mini skaters for the fall when the trout are binge feeding. I think they would be a blast to chuck on my 5wt Beulah!
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,235 / 9
  3. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    absolutely ! especially when they have caddis or stoneflies on the menu. dont be afraid to go as much as 5-6 sizes bigger than the naturals.
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +634 / 0
    It's my favorite way to fish. Nothing beats a big trout running down a skated fly. On the small streams it often works better than the dead drift.
  5. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Well hot damn you all got me motivated. Looks like I've got a skating fly to invent. Hmmm....

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
  6. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +312 / 0
    Last year was really my first year fly fishing and I caught a lot of trout by skating flies. When I first started doing it, I didn't know it had a specific name and that it wasn't the normal way to fish for trout. I just thought it was fun.
  7. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +123 / 0
    Great for cutts
  8. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +301 / 0
    I agree completely with Blake.

My favorite method of fishing for SRC is using a red butt, deer hair muddler, that is riffle hitched and skated. Mend it into, and then skate it away from any woody log jams or debris.

You can cover a lot of river very quickly with that setup.
  9. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    Not really a skater , but a swung skid bitch can work wonders .

PS ... This is not my fly .
    [IMG]
  10. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +618 / 0
    Yes and yes.
  11. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Well hell lets kick this thing off proper then. Id like to see some trout skaters. Just scoped some steelhead caddis out at PSFC and got an idea of what im looking at. I assume downsizing a bit would be just the ticket. They also had a couple cool ones that look like boats.
  12. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    morrish mouse, mini hankey, fuzzy wuzzy, small ska-opper, greased muddler, big goddard.......stay away from the super bulky mice, and big hooks for better hooking ratio (sz 6 or smaller) use a loop knot. its not about the pattern so much as the wake. definately an art to it. watch john hazel and scott howel vids.
  13. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    This is what I use to skate up trout on the Clearwater in Idaho. I fish a fairly short line dead drifting it down then skating in the surface film back up. It is a killer pattern where caddis hatches are good.

The pic was taken from Steve Raymond's book Kamloops. A very good read by the way.

Attached Files:

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  14. kjsteelhead Member

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I like skating dries for trout best in summer evenings, especially in riffly water. Stimulators work really well.
  15. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +285 / 1
    october caddis skaters. westslopes will crush them
    JesseC likes this.
  16. Andy D Member

Des Moines, Wa
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I use a turks turantulla for sea runs. I will also strip it across the surface of eddys for some pretty violent takes.
  17. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    383103_4764466512099_1052800361_n.jpg
    This worked on Sunday
    orangeradish likes this.
  18. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Just don't use a skated caddis imitation when the spotted sedge is out on the Missouri, Big Hole, Big Horn, Yellowstone, Bitterroot, Blackfoot, or Clark's Fork rivers. For if one does use a skated imitation of a spotted sedge on these (and many other rivers such as the upper Delaware in New York and Pennsylvania, or even the Yakima) rivers one may be surprised by the number of trout one will hook.

Naw. On second thought, one should never use a skated spotted sedge imitation every on any river because everyone knows that fish get spooked by drag and a skating fly has so much drag it isn't funny.
  19. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    The first time I saw this work was the fist time I fished the Yakima. We were drifting and I tossed a Royal wolf under a tree into water slower than we were drifting, as drag set in and the fly was dragged out, a bug bow began chasing the fly slashing at it with abandon. It was quite exciting, to say the least.
  20. KevinLS Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I sort of fell into this a few years ago on Fish Lake near Cheney. Caught bass on dries as I was unintentionally skating them in. I switched to a very large Sofa Pillow (see attached) perhaps size 4 or 6. Caught several 12-14 inch brookies on that fly.

If a 12 inch brook trout will chase a skated fly that big I know it works. I'll skate what I have now from time to time and it definitely works for me. Dito on the Stimulators too.

Attached Files: