Skytucky Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I Decided to take my Dave scadden assault for its maiden voyage down the sky on sunday. I talked to joe at Pacific fly fishers on Saturday and bought a sweet new Williams and Josephs Riptide hip pack. He also gave some pointers and drew a sweet little map for me in the boulder section for low water condition.

I got on the river at about 1130, Joe was just going around the corner as I was putting in. I watched the line he took and then he disappeared. My heart beat was racing coming into the first corner it had been about 2 years since I floated a river let alone of this size. After successfully navigating it with no problems I came on the boulder garden once again my heart started pounding and legs shaking. I made sure to set myself up well up stream of the line I wanted to take. Needless to say I went through with absolutely zero issues. From there It was pretty straight forward. There were some hazards on the river but for the most part if your head is up and a swivel you will be fine.
    [IMG]

As for the fishing portion I didn't fish to much. I brought the echo TR and swung some patterns in what I thought looked fishy. I really was trying to get a grasp of what kinda of bottoms the river was and find buckets and holding water. I did a lot of watching other people and trying to see what in the water drew them to fish that area. Surpringsly when I rowed over area's I used to wade fish that I thought looked fishy actually had really no structure or big boulders.

All in All it was a great day. Although no fish I now have a much better idea with how to fish this river. with the exception of joe, a driftboat and the other watermaster I was by myself all day. No elbow bumping or lowholing.

"Drunk as hell but no throwing up
    Half way home and my pager still blowing up
    Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
    I got to say it was a good day"

-Ice Cube
  2. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Nice report man. I've been wanting to try a float on the Sky. But I've only been out in my pontoon once--an easy float on the Snoqaulmie, and need to get more practice I think.

Glad to hear you had a good day.

Jason
  3. biere.froide New Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I thought that Scadden looked familiar...

Cheers from "the other watermaster"!
    Mrs. G and Evan Virnoche like this.
  4. Evan Virnoche Guest

why hello! its a small world
  5. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +776 / 0
    Did you get an extra oar with that thing?
  6. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +673 / 0
    Awesome. This is something I really need to learn to do.
  7. Evan Virnoche Guest

No should i?
  8. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +776 / 0
    Yeah man. Without a doubt get a spare oar. Take a look at the watercraft forum and pack an "o shit" bag of repair essentials as well. There was a good thread on that a while back.
  9. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Jesse's speaking from personal experience... And I'll agree with him as I was there. Get a spare oar.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  10. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Or swimfins - I can kick down most of the basic Class 1-2 water on the west side in fins. If you lose an oar, unhook the other one and use it as a paddle in an emergency.
    And if you're taking your Scadden or WM down Class 3 or more, I agree with Jesse - pack a spare oar.
  11. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Lifejacket is also a good idea for all river boating. Seems like at least one person without one drowns on the Sky every year. Fisherman seem to think that they are inherently buoyant, especially when wearing waders :eek:

Have fun and be safe! Shoot me a message if you ever want to carpool to the river for a float as I also live in Mill Creek.
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  12. Evan Virnoche Guest

I had a life jacket that I put on through the first 3/4 of miles
  13. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    ^Good, but you are still non-buoyant in the last 1/4 miles! As a whitewater guy and staunch water safety advocate, I have to give you a hard time ;)
    Tony Abaloney likes this.
  14. Evan Virnoche Guest

15. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    lots of guys use those instant inflatable types - you might check those out
    The more comfortable the more one is apt to use it
  16. Evan Virnoche Guest

are they re-usable?
  17. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    yeah you just have the change out the cartridge
  18. biere.froide New Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
  19. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    No wonder you take yours off, those ski jackets cannot be very comfortable for rowing!

Check out this http://washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/pfds.89363/ for more info about inflatable life jackets. I personally don't like inflatables because the manual inflate versions require you to be conscious to pull the handle and the auto-inflate require you to put your trust in the PFD.

I have no problem wearing my rafting PFD all day, it has soft, flexible foam and a generous cut around the arms. The stohlquist above is nice and NRS has their CHinook fishing vest on sale for $75 here:
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2150&utm_campaign=shop_comp&utm_source=google&utm_medium=buy_now&utm_term=goog_product_2150&gclid=CJG6w-33pbgCFaXm7AodJWkAvg
    biere.froide likes this.
  20. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    I like the cabala's advanced angler vest. looks good. need to try it on. I wade a lot and fell in last week.

Outlaw