Snake Brand Universal Guides

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by LD, Jul 13, 2013.

1. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I just completed a rod for a member of the forum and had my first opportunity to use snake brand universal guides. The guides IMHO are all they are cracked up to be. The feet are even length, they are smooth so there is absolutely no filing or messing around with the guide foot. Just pull them out of the package and start wrapping. Because they are concave the do fit very nicely on the blank and the thread easily wraps up the foot. They are expensive but will only add $10-15 (max $20) to a build. There are a few manufactures using them but you will need to spend $700 on a rod to get them. The other part of the equation is Mike McCoy, the owner of Snake Brand, is a great guy. I am just hobby builder and have had the opportunity to talk with him a couple of times. He really cares about his product and our satisfaction. So if you have not tried a set splurge and give them a try.

2. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    100% agree
    I have only used them once and really liked them. I plan on putting them on my up coming spey build. Nothing beats a Great local company

3. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Member

Totally agree. I called Snake Guides a few months ago about a simple question on a small (1-wt) rod I was building. Ended up talking to Mike for about 20 minutes about all kinds of fishing-related things. I only build a rod every year or so, so I'm no huge customer. But he took the time to help me and gave me a lot of great advice. So I look forward to more great stuff from this company. Outstanding customer service and you've gotta love buying from a small business.

4. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    I met Mike at the FFF show in Spokane. I used his guides and reel seats for a build last winter and they were great. He has some very nice reel seats and inserts.