Snakehead fish invasion

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by TB, Mar 31, 2013.

1. TB Member

Ma's cow, Idaho area
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Anyone following the snakehead fish invasion in the East? What danger do they pose for out here and do we have any fish that will slow them, if they get here...like the Pike, or Tiger Muskie?
  2. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Those are badass fish I hear there easy to catch. I want to go to Florida to catch some and there good eating.
  3. Stan Wright Member

Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Last weekend we went out specifically to try and catch snakehead... never saw a one. I've only seen 2 in the last 5 years. Some 20 years ago we caught them all the time. Problem is they are so good to eat, people keep and kill every one they get their hands on regardless of size.
  4. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    They sure are a great fish, in the same category that silver carp are a great fish. Invasive species that should be rotenoned out of existence in North America.
  5. wildbrook I catch Sunfish!

JBLM
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm from the south and I can tell you that snakehead are pretty tough. There are individuals who fight them in fish tanks against pike and muskie for sport. Just do a search on youtube. The only worry that I would have of them getting here is from people getting them as pets on the black market then "letting them free". They can also walk on land for some distance, but that will take awhile.