Article Snakes on a plain

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ribka, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    I lived in Newport, WA for 8 yrs. They say there aren't any Rattlesnakes in Selkirks. I never saw one. Maybe its too damp for them. Yet Back East they have rattle snakes in New England and that is a harsher climate than Colville and Kettle Falls. Another interesting study. Why aren't there any Rattle Snakes in the Selkirk Mtns?
  2. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,277 / 0
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the king of our local forests: the mighty timber rattler. I've had a few encouners, and you don't soon forget them. I ran into one near Republic a few years back that stetched completely across the logging road I was using. When I came around the corner I thought a big tree branch was blocking my path. When I realized what it was I nearly had a hear attack.
  3. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    I have seen rattlers around Grand Forks, last year a lady that I had one in her yard. A friend and I took it back up into the mountains, it was only about 18 inches long.
  4. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +427 / 0

I've been backpacking/hiking for years and years... never come across a Timer Rattler, or heard of anyone seeing one either. Sure it wasn't a big Bullsnake? I don't think Timber rattlers live west of the Mississippi, except maybe around Texas. But a Bullsnake will leave a nasty bite, none-the-less.

I love snakes, and chase down every rattler I see! I've stepped on half a dozen or so and have been struck, but not bitten. Sure gets your heart rate up!!! As mentioned before, the one in my avatar struck at me a couple times, before sliding up into that crack.

However, after watching that program on Netflix... I've decided not to try and pick one up anymore.
  5. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0

If by "our local forests" you really mean "East of the Mississippi"...there is a reason no one has mentioned the "mighty timber rattler"

The only rattlesnake you'll find in WA is going to be the North Pacific Rattlesnake (a subspecies of the Western Rattlesnake). Here in Oregon we also get the Great Basin Rattlesnake (just a different subspecies of the Western Rattlesnake), which could conceivably range up into SE WA, but doubtful...
  6. Mark Kulikov Active Member

Polson Montana
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    Even snakes are afraid of snakes.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  7. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    Several years ago I hiked in and up a stream about 4 miles by myself in rattlesnake country. What are you supposed to do (by yourself) if you get bit in a situation like this and need to get back to your car and civilization? Do I kiss my ass goodbye? Or what? Seriously, I would like to know.
  8. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +238 / 0
    They don't like cold. We have a place at 3000 feet, but it is a cold air pocket. No snakes. But don't leave meadow!!

Anybody want rattlesnakes can come over and get them out of my garage.
  9. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Makes sense to me.:D
  10. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Hmmm... I guess what the old timers call timber rattlers around here aren't, but I don't think they are the typical viridis, either. I'll have to take a herp up with me to get DNA/scale samples. It says that the largest documented rattlesnake in the northwest was only 59 inches!? I personally killed three bigger than that, and have seen ones over eight feet. My biggest was over seven feet, and bigger around than my forearm. These big ones are a solid, dark green and are only found in the woods, not the desert. Hence, why everyone around here has always called them timber rattlers. Now I'm curious to find out if they're a subspecies of viridis or an all together different species not documented yet. All I know for sure is those big ones are tasty!
    Hey Kaiserman, anytime you want to go snake hunting for these big boys let me know. I know of a few den areas.
  11. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Yes, they are indeed tasty. Most of the ones I've run into over on the Deschutes haven't really been large enough to get much out of, but I'd imagine that once you get upwards of 4+ feet, their thickness increases to a point where it could be worthwhile. Largest I've seen in Central OR is in the 4' range and that was a pretty thick snake...I'd imagine that given a good food source and somehow avoiding humans (who have a propensity to kill them regardless of size or threat) and other predators, they could get a bit larger.
  12. Kaiserman content

I'm ALL over that!!! Maybe we could hit the water after a tasty "snake fry". :D That is strange though... I'm totally curious now too!

I use to breed snakes as a hobby and extra cash flow - but after 3 years of eggs not hatching, I found out my prize male was shooting blanks!
  13. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    summer_2013_101.jpg IMG_3622.jpg This one was over six foot. Not mine. I've gotten a few bigger, but can't find pics. Must be either on an old cell phone or on my dad's pc. IMG_3622.jpg Same lake in both pics
  14. Kaiserman content

That is unbelievable! I have never seen, let alone heard, of anything like that!

I sooooooooo have to find this place!
  15. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    that is a TOAD!

That thing is bigger than my 17 year old boa (never have power-fed him since it's both unhealthy and I never intended to breed him)...
  16. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +517 / 0
    I want to know where that is so I stay the hell away from there! :eek: