So has any one ever....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Today I was fishing on the north fork of the cda and had something happen to me for the first time. I don't know it this is common or not as I normally don't run this setup. Has any one ever been running a hopper with a dropper and had the fish go the the hopper and miss it but get caught on the dropper. I had a beaded san juan worm and that happened to me to day and the hook and line wrapped around the fish and the hook doug in. I have had things like this happen before like a fish rolled the dry and got its self poked. but nothing like this.
  2. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I had it happen on Rock Creek in MT and fouled (belly) hooked a 16" fish in fast water with the dropper.. thought I had hooked a really big one! I figure it missed the top fly and got foul hooked. Can't remember how far the dropper was from the top fly.. don't think it was more than 18"...
  3. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I have done it a few times when running a 2 fly set up, I like to call it the Cluster F*ck set up. I have also been crushed by 2 big Cutts at once with a double dry Stimulator and caddis
  4. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    yeah my was about 2ft. and if did fill bigger than the 10-11in it turned out to be.lol I mean it even made a couple of good runs.
  5. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    So where you able to land them when it happened? I had thought about that before and wondered if it happened would I be able to land them or what would happen.
  6. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Yes had it happen a couple of times, more of a snag after an overly eager reaction to a fish hitting the hopper.
  7. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    Had that once on a lake, my first fish of the day. It definitely seemed bigger than it was, but when I got it close to the tube I could tell something wasn't right. The dropper was a small chironomid and barely had him hooked. He swam off fine, but I did not feel great about it.
  8. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I had 6x on the small caddis and it ended up with a clean break. I landed the lead fish with no sweat after the weight of the other fish was off the line
    Eric Denny likes this.
  9. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +193 / 0
    I've had it happen often enough that I wonder if the fish doesn't take the nymph on the way to the dry. I happens too often to be chance....at least that's my thought....
  10. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +208 / 1
    I had that one too. Both flies in the jaw.