So how about chum...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by doublebluff, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Bobber fishing for chum....count me in Jeff!! ;)

2. sourdoughsmitty

sourdoughsmitty Member

Media:
    "chum the only one to taste worse than humpys" hmmm you mean after almost 40 scattered years in the far north I have been eating trash fish?:eek: LOL seriously I target the close to winter chum as they have a little more oil in them and smoke up good But the biggest thing I would tell you guys here is if you are going to keep either pinks ,chums immediate field care is in order, gut em ,gill em and ice them immediate ly ,goes a long ways towards quality for the table , secondly get them as close to tidewater as possible ,as both of these start to go bad quick in freshwater , so I target for the table near river mouths and estuaries, now if I just want a good fight then I fish anywhere in the drainage . As to giving away all your secrets here , it is not that you passed on info ,it is wether or not the other person can actually put it to productive use . smitty

plaegreid likes this.
  3. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    If you keep a chum for food make sure it still has purple tiger stripes on its flanks and a distinct black belly.

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Made use of the lousy weather by watching football and tying chum flies

2013-09-29_20-22-25_571.jpg

5. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    [​IMG]

I tied a few of these up for chums. Are they too small?

6. Chucker

Chucker Member

Sometimes those will be too small, sometimes they will be just right. I have caught chum on flies from that size up to 5 or 6" bunny leeches.

plaegreid likes this.
  7. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I see both Seahawk and Husky (at least purple) colors in those flies! I think our local chums are going to love them!!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  8. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:

Good to hear! I'll start tying my way up the hook sizes.

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I like small and sparse for the salt Keta or Silver Brites, big and gaudy for the river Dogs.
    SF

Nick Clayton likes this.
  10. PT

PT Physhicist

Chum fishing was fun before the runs got netted into oblivion. One more fishery for me that has gone by the wayside...... Used to fish the Sky, Stilly, Skagit a few years ago and had a blast. Now, they get intercepted in the salt and roe sold overseas. It's a downward spiral that has a bigger affect than most people think. Without those carcasses in the river systems there isn't the feed juveniles need to thrive. It affects all the runs and is like a snowball rolling down a sand dune.

DimeBrite, Jim Wallace and Stonefish like this.
  11. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

It's truly sad and I wholly agree, as a newb to the NW/USA 10 yrs ago and first going chum fishing on the Sky and Skagit I was stunned by the sheer numbers of fish and a lot of big ones, my first fish was huge (to me, ~15 lbs) and took off on one of the most memorable runs I still remember, I couldn't remotely stop it for the first 50-60 ft, the reel burned my hand palming it and generally left me beat up thinking "wow!! what an amazing fight!!". In the past 4 yrs the numbers I've seen are a lot less. The big loss of biomass to the rivers will no doubt be eventually reflected. It's really sad that they're now a revenue fish for the fleets, they're done for.

As for a kickin' and a snaggin' over redds, forget pinks. Take a peek at an infamous river confluence at peak chumly time, it's really, really brutal and not for the faint of heart. Lots of mainly snagged, always nuked fish "great for the smoker", commonly kicked and on occasion punched to F as they're dragged onto the bank; the odd bit of hardware openly shown by the carrying/bear care community for a bit of space...It's totally mental in truest yet most truly depressing sense of the word...Why there's not a warden permanently parked there for 2-3 weeks is beyond me. They'd have ton of tickets or optimistically there'd be the best unmolested spawn there in decades.

I've fished past this spot most yrs and so always stop and look in amazement and occasionally ask why or try to point out the redds, fish f'ing at folks feet but they don't care or don't want to be reminded that it's wrong. It's like trying to moralize at a brothel, folks are fixed pretty much on one thing by then and it's not morality...

For being the 'lowest' of the salmonids, they really do bring out the very worst in a fair few folks, some fly fishers included, at this 'spot' anyway from what I've seen. There'll be some 'belters' as this yrs run goes on from salt to spawn.

Dave

Mike T likes this.
  12. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

SopFF nailed it with his gracious brevity. The most deeply forked tail of all Pacific salmonids=big fight. Large average size= large biomass nutrient payloads from carcasses. Offspring that jet to the salt shortly after emerging as fry and after nearly every heavy spring rain =less competition with coho and steelhead smolts. Offspring that jet to the salt as fry after every heavy spring rain also=salty cutthroat calorie load ups. Try not to dance on the polished gravel. They're in there.