Soft Hackle swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Calvin1, don't worry about it. I posted that more for humor than anything else. I just thought that it was funny because I was thinking the same thing after I finished tying the flies! I even considered adding another set of flies, but I procrastinated and ran out of time.

The fly I tied is on a short curved size 18 hook, 2x strong. The body is black thread and the hackle is starling. I really like starling for black flies because of the natural green sheen the feathers have. Fish seem to like it fine too. I don't know if they look elegant, but I did work to make them as well as I could. The hard part isn't winding on the hackle, but not breaking the hackle. Even with a good pair of eyes and steady hands, those super thin quills are easy to break. I'll be looking for another starling skin after tying these.......

My favorite way to fish this fly is to tie it onto the bend of a heavier fly. I'll usually tie on a Copper John for a little weight, then drop the black soft hackle off the CJ. I'll cast quartering upstream and let them drift a little to sink. Then I'll do a short, quick strip. If a fish is interested I always get a take right after the strip, and it's almost always on the black fly. Strikes seem to be pretty hard too. I used to tie them on dry hooks, but bigger fish would bend the hook on the take and hook set. Damn Rocky Ford trout..... I hate that place and it's huge fish.

jjaims likes this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    [quote="Chad Lewis, post: 806508, member: 7765"

My favorite way to fish this fly is to tie it onto the bend of a heavier fly. I'll usually tie on a Copper John for a little weight, then drop the black soft hackle off the CJ. I'll cast quartering upstream and let them drift a little to sink. Then I'll do a short, quick strip. If a fish is interested I always get a take right after the strip, and it's almost always on the black fly. Strikes seem to be pretty hard too. [/quote]

Interesting you do the quick strip to interest the fish. What with the soft hackle swap (and a series of PM's with Ron Eagle Elk) I'm re-reading my soft hackle books and Nemes notes in one of his later ones that a small line strip just above a fish would usually entice a strike.

If I remember I will enclose an extra starling skin with your flies. I cannot vouch for it's quality but it looks as good as a store-bought starling skin.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    All flies are in. I will separate them out and get them back in the mail by Wednesday. I thought I was a good tyer until I saw the flies that arrived. Maybe I'm just in with a swap with a group of excellent tyers.

jjaims likes this.
  4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Chad, I also like starlIng for small black flies but agree. That are a pain to wrap. Try tying the same fly but with peacock herl for the body- I find it a killer.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I just finished taking photos of all the swap soft hackles and will post them later this evening once I get back from tax work.

6. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Bill,

Thanks for hosting this swap. Looking forward to seeing the flies as they sit for their portraits.

The great thing about soft hackle wet flies..there really isn't a wrong way to fish them. What technique works on one piece of water may not work as well on another. Best to have a series of fishing methods in your quiver.

REE

7. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    Revised post to delete fly pictures as they now reside in the Gallery under 2013 Soft Hackle Swap

Attached Files:

8. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I must have lost focus when I tied mine

9. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    maybe your tie was "impressionistic" or I didn't use a tripod?

10. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    Revised post to delete photos as better ones now reside in the Gallery under 2013 Soft Hackle Swap.

Attached Files:

11. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Lots of nice ties. It will be fun to try them out.

12. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
  13. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Great looking ties and nice photos Bill. Interesting that Calvin included both the red rabbit tuft and thwarting read glass bead, I've only seen one or the other but I like it! I'm going to try to catch fish on every single one this summer!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

14. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I was very impressed with the quality of the tying in the swap. One of the swappers was a new tyer and did an excellent job. I thought I was going to get the mailing done Wednesday but I had to retake photos again and needed the tyer info. Now at best I'll get them mailed on Thursday. If not I'm out of town Friday and Saturday as I have west side business.

15. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    The flies are mailed out. Thanks to all for participating. I have deleted the photos in this thread and replaced them with ones taken with fill flash and a tripod. The new photos are in the Gallery under 2013 Soft Hackle Swap.

16. Patrick Gould

Media:
    Great ties everyone. I can't wait to fish them. There's a brookie stream that I can fish soon after the opener. I'll see how many pics I can get of these flies doing what they're designed to.

17. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I agree with Patrick! Terrific flies throughout and Thank you Bill for the stepped job running the swap and photographing the flies.

18. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Bill, the flies arrived in my mailbox on Friday. Great flies everyone. I'll be adding copies of them to my fly boxes.

19. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Yes great flies all around. Patrick what did you use for the hackle on your fly? I liked the yellowish coloring. Great stuff.

20. Patrick Gould

Media:
    Thanks Thomas, I like that color too. It's Partridge dyed "sulfur orange". I use Nature's Spirit brand. The body is entirely uni-stretch single strand floss, no regular thread.

Jeff Dodd likes this.