Solo Floats Moped/Scooters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Sawyer, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    I didn’t want to hi-jack the “Friends are Lame” thread, but a couple of guys there mentioned that they had used a Moped/Scooter as a means of shuttling themselves.

I’m considering going this route; I have a couple of concerns:

1. I have an Outcast Commander so it packs down fairly small, though not sure it’s the best idea to strap it on my back and take off on a moped, but could probably be done. But have any of you that have gone this route, found any good way to incorporate a small trailer and hitch system? Did you have to fabricate it, I’ve looked on line but just haven’t found much.

2. Security, it seems like it would be extremely easy to just drive up and throw it in the back of a truck, so what do you do to prevent that?

Would appreciate any thoughts/experience you’ve had.
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  2. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    I would think chain it to a tree or something or try to hide it in the bushes. I've thought about doing this with an Alpacka Raft and a mountain bike. It would be epic, self-reliant float fishing with an exercise element. Self-shuttling would also require a minimalist approach with your gear, which I find appealing.
    JesseC likes this.
  3. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    Drop your raft at the put in, you may want to lock it but I usually don't. Drive to the take out, hop on your bike and ride back with your fishing gear (I usually leave small cooler and fins with boat but take my fly rods etc). chain the bike to a tree, when you are done, throw the boat in your truck and drive back to the put in and get your bike (I use a mountain bike, but a moped etc would work as well.) Rick
  4. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    That makes sense, that way you don't have to ride a wet raft uphill, possibly in the dark, after a day of fishing.
  5. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Would this scooter be something that would work for you?
    http://www.scootboot.com/index.html

I'm contemplating something similar with a Honda Ruckus scooter, but that's on indefinite hold since we just bought a house and it'll be a while before the slush-fund recovers enough to allow for the scooter+trailer combo.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,614 / 0
    A Moped or Scooter is a good way to become one of those "lame" friends. I've been using my mountain bike to shuttle for years. The best security is not a chain and lock. I try to not launch and retrieve at developed sites unless there is a good place to stash my gear where it is extremely unlikely to be noticed. Sometimes it takes a little extra work, but I feel better about it. Now that I've told you where I leave my stuff I'll probably have to kill you. Security, ya' know; nothing personal.

Sg
    fredaevans, JesseC and Jeff Sawyer like this.
  7. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Good point on using an undeveloped launch/exit points when you can. Worth considering for places where there's no-where to effectively hide gear near the developed launches.

"I've lost count of all of the post-kayaking bike shuttles I've done. Maybe bike commuting for ~20 years has diminished the allure of more time in the saddle, but logging more time in the shuttle after getting off of the water always seems like a drag, hence the fantasizing about the scooter system.

OP:
    For what it's worth, for a couple of years one of my kayaking buddies had a pretty nice scooter that we'd leave at takeouts with just a u-lock through the wheels for security and it never disappeared.

I've also seen folks put one of the burly-ass mega-chains (Google Kryptonite Fuggedaboutit) through the back wheel and the frame to disable the wheels, then follow up with a 5/8" braided steel cable through the wheel and frame and around a big tree to keep folks from just lifting it up and putting it in the back of a truck. Nothing a determined tweaker with a 24v angle-grinder couldn't hack through with enough time, but it'd be enough to deter the vast majority of would-be thieves.
  8. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Honda ruckus.

When I was a kid, my dad had a old honda spree for just this purpose. We used to float the sky a lot, worked out good, they hadn't invented meth yet!
    stilly stalker likes this.
  9. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    I use a honda elite 80. It goes 45mph in the flats. I drive to the takeout, drop the bike off and lock it up. Proceed to the launch and fish the river. I leave my boat at the takeout, ride the scooter back up to the launch, load it on the trailer and drive down to the takeout to retrieve my boat. If alone, i use a back pack and take my rods and gear with me. I haven't had any issues with my scooter being messed with..... yet.

If your boat will break down and fit in a big back pack, I would load up and ride the scooter. One less stop.
  10. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    A couple bike tires/wheels, angle iron, a 2x4 for axle, some emt bent for your tongue, wing nuts to put it all together, etc. Homemade trailer. Better yet, do what Salmo does. Or, what I did was leave the boat chained to a tree and carry my gear in a back pack when running the shuttle. Certain rivers I never worry about getting ripped off. Others, not so much. I've never let my fears of being ripped off keep me from doing what I enjoy the most. If it happens, it happens.
  11. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Doing the shuttle before the float like Rick suggested is usually ideal. I opt for a bicycle to keep costs and weight at a minimum (and get a little morning exercise). I added a cargo rack over the rear wheel, so I can bring all my gear with me on the bike. The only thing left behind is the boat/oars/anchor. Smaller boats like your commander can be stashed in the bushes out of sight pretty easily. Using a cable lock adds an additional level of security, and chances a pretty low that in the 30-40 minutes it takes to do the shuttle that someone with bolt cutters or a hacksaw is going to show up. Usually this system can be done pretty easily and allows you to avoid the tweaker hangouts and use a minimal amount of fuel for your day of fishing.

I'm also looking into a frameless boat like the commander which could support the wight of a bike strapped to the back. With the right storage setup on the bike you could then pack up the boat on the bike at the end of the float and not have to leave anything behind or locked up except your car. Lots of possibilities out there.
  12. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    [IMG]Have a Yamaha TW200 dual-sport for just this purpose---

Head to the takeout with the truck (I like the main ride to be ready when I get off the river). Start warming up the bike as I put on the waders and fishing cloths. Throw the Watermaster pack with rods and supplies tucked into it on my back and head for the put-in on the bike. Chain it to something large/heavy and ideally in an easily viewable spot (if it's an official boat launch) or somewhere it's difficult to get a car/truck in if it's just a river access site (to make it harder for thieves to get my bike to their vehicle).

Tweakers and thieves are a problem on may Puget Sound and Greys Harbor rivers, but a little planning can stack the odds in your favor.

Cheers,

Brian
  13. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    I do it all the time in Montana & Wyo. Never had an issue with people like you would here in our lovely state !!!!
  14. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    This is mine !!

Attached Files:

15. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    There is a new company building an awesome bike trailer out of Shelton. Saw them at the Sportsman Show.
  16. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Along the Yak when I used to fish every day in the summer, you could just stick out a thumb while you were holding a paddle. Usually got a ride from one of the first couple of cars. Never had a problem....might be different now.
  17. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback, I think you guys have convinced me to go for it, though probably not until summer, when my daughter is through with school, and the bank of daddy closes.

Love the ride Kevin!
  18. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +658 / 5
    I didn't read through the thread, but will give you my .02 since I've had to do this myself.

I had a Yamaha Razz for my chaser scooter. I used it for use with my drift boat, big cataraft, and my small cats/pontoons. I always tossed a chain through the scooter and attached to guard rails on the side of the road near the take out.

Onto retrievel of a one man pontoon. Once I got back to the launch, I'd pull out my handy dandy backpack. Here a climbers backpack or packboard with lashdowns REALLY help. I had break down oars and would lash them to pack. I'd toss all my extra gear into the pack, then lash the rods on as well. Chain the frame (going through the D rings of the front of tubes at the end caps or through the D rings on the side of tube) to the same rail guard I put the scooter on. Then I'd run back up to my rig. Toss the stuff in back, and jet back to the toon. In the few years I did this I never had anyone mess with my toons. Now, if I'd left my stuff on it? Never know. But with just a frame and toons sitting there chained up, they left it alone.