Some final thoughts on yellowjackets

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Sep 9, 2013.

1. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    After trying a number of different traps and bait all summer the clear winner is the clear plastic 1 gallon jug with two 1'' holes punched in it, several inches of water on the bottom with a few drops of dish soap and some of the YJ bait that comes in the little tubes. I tie a large cotton ball to a string, squirt half a tube of attractent on it and lower it down in the bottle. I have tried several of the opaque 1 gallon jugs outfitted the same way and for whatever reason they just don't work as well.

Here is a couple of day's work with a couple of them.

IMG_2504.JPG IMG_2505.JPG IMG_2502.JPG
  2. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    Damn, that's a lot of yellow jackets!
    Ron McNeal likes this.
  3. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +426 / 0
    holy hell, I'm swelling up just looking at the pics
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Nice work Ive! Those little bastards ruined our Idaho camping trip earlier this summer.
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,651 / 0
    I've seen about three bees all summer. You must be in Bee heaven.
  6. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +496 / 2
    Damn! Strong work.
    Grayone likes this.
  7. JayH Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Hopefully no honey-bees in there!
  8. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +84 / 1
    impressive collection. Maybe dip them in some sort of epoxy and use as indicators?
    constructeur likes this.
  9. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +628 / 0
    Damn Ive . . . are you raising them? There are almost more flying around the trap than I've seen all summer down here. Lots of paper wasps, but those are pretty docile & easy to defeat.
  10. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +289 / 0
    WOW, what a stockpile.
  11. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,259 / 0
    They've been pretty nasty around here this year, and with enlightened being so allergic, it makes going too far from civilization a dangerous prospect.
  12. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    That's amazing. Thank you!
  13. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Yowzza!
    You could dump that in the river and start your own hatch.
    Tie on a Mcginty and you'd be in business!
  14. astrofisher Clear Skies

Tenino, Wa.
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    Yup, that's an impressive collection of yellowjackets.
  15. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    We have never seen anything like this before. Normally you can hear a pin drop here in the forest but for the past few weeks all you hear outside is the steady drone of thousands of wings. It starts up right at dawn and goes till dark. Surprisingly I have only killed 3 mosquitos all year. Some years we would get swarmed right at dark but this year-nothing.

I had yellowjacket traps out in late March and caught a lot of big queens but I must have missed more than I caught. We are hoping for a hard freeze before the snow falls, something we didn't get last year.

Ive
  16. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +600 / 0
    That's the great thing about getting old....they been buzzin about yer head all summer, ya couldn't see 'em, and the little basterds were scaird they'd get sick if they stung yer nasty old carcass!
    Patrick Gould and Nick Clayton like this.
  17. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0
    When the weather starts to cool off they will get nasty. Lots of the little devils around so I bet a lot of people will be stung as summer starts to wind down.
  18. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,555 / 0
    Ive that is amazing. How about Fruit Flies, any suggestions? so far we got about three wine bottles out with a half inch of white wine- the flies "check in and die happy" as my wife says. But any other techniques you are holding out on us for the FF?
  19. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Just had the FF thing. First try to figure out the source, I thought it was the kitchen sink but finally figured they were coming from the pop can crusher just outside the garage/utility room door. Tried bleach down the kitchen sink drain etc.
    Googled and found a simple answer. Build a trap by snipping a corner off of a Ziploc sandwich bag and rubber band it as an inverted funnel over a small drinking glass with about 1/2" of apple cider vinegar and a bit of dishwashing soap to break the
    surface tension.
    Took a few days but got rid of them. Oh yeah, cleaned and quit using the can crusher too!
    Greg Armstrong likes this.
  20. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,555 / 0