Some thoughts on tackle...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Mar 22, 2013.

1. kmac

kmac Active Member

2. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Other than the obvious downside of high cost for high end gear (like rods and reels) is the fact that I am forever banging around or dropping stuff...inevitably on lakeside rocks and launching ramps. I'd shit my pants dropping a $400 reel on an $800 flyrod. While I certainly don't enjoy scratching my $200 TFO, or $100 Battenkill (or $60 Okuma) reel....it is not a trip ruining event. It's also cheap enough that I can have two decent rods rigged and ready to go in my kayak, one with a floating line and the other rigged subsurface (changing spools and stringing line through guides is awkward on a kayak...it's just much easier to switch rods).

As for drags, since I fish for trout, I seldom get much into the backing (and as was mentioned above) today's spools let you palm drag anyway. If the drag is smooth, durable, easily adjustable, and prevents free-spooling, it's good enough for my purposes.

I do tend to splurge a bit on some of my floating and sinking tip fly lines. It's hard to beat a good line for casting, and (relative to other FF gear) the price spread between a crappy line and a superb one is just not that great.....and today's flyline materials make them very durable.

formerguide, Porter, jwg and 2 others like this.
  3. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I'm kind of an equal opportunity gear whore. I do have a penchant for pricier stuff, but inexpensive gear also has a place in my closet. Not to mention that place in my wallet that used to be full more often than it is these days. I tend to hold onto stuff and use it for a long time, so I value my more expensive stuff as something that I'll enjoy for a long time to come. As for cheaper gear, I've found the rods to work every bit as well as the pricey stuff (but I still maintain the Helios is the finest casting rod money can buy :cool: ). Reels are a bit different. There's a little more of "you get what you pay for" in reels. But like 'Guide says, most of the time an inexpensive line holder is all you need. If that's not what you want, well, I like that too. I like that I feel perfectly comfortable fishing with anyone with any gear. Matter of fact, I regularly get out-fished by folks using gear more expensive -and cheaper- than whatever I'm using that day.

John Gierach wrote that snobbery, at its best, is an attempt to do something in the finest manner that it can be done. I think a lot of folks here subscribe to this, using their gear to make their own experience the best they can. It can be a fine line between enjoying your pricey toys and talking excessively about your pricey toys. That's something I tend to do, and I can see where it looks like snobbery in the right situation.

Dave Evans and formerguide like this.
  4. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    "I like tackle".................Thats me! BTW, just look at what alot of two-handers have on their sticks for steelhead. Old click pawls.

5. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:

Are the bearings reversealbe for left or right hand drive?

formerguide likes this.
  6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    It "ain't easy".
    But someone's gotta do it.

Islander and formerguide like this.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    When I'm reborn I hope I switch over to the other half of the equation. I think I'd make more $$$ selling IT than buying IT.

formerguide likes this.
  8. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Agree with the OP, most of my rods are better casting tools than I am a caster. That said, I do like nice rods and reels but until I bought my Meiser last year to celebrate my retirement, I'd not bought a new rod since my 1st, a Fenwick FF857. I have some nice Scott, Loomis, Winstons and Powells as well as Bauer and Lamson reels and have paid 50% of MSRP or less for all. BTW, I've never broken a fly rod, so the warranty is basically meaningless to me.

formerguide likes this.
  9. chief

chief Active Member

That's all the old click pawls used to do...... But I bet the disc drag brakes are a lot quieter....

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I'm sure that high end rods and reels are great tools, I'm also sure that the limiting factor in my fishing prowess is not my equipment.

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

Lots of truth to that for me personally and I treat certain gear of mine differently because of the value (or what I paid for it). I hate nickin my better reels up and almost always use the protective pouch on them during transport, it definitely makes me look like an ass when some of my friends just throw their gear in and let them bang around on the sidewalls of the boat or better yet the back of the pickup and going over hell's road potholes at 35mph...I'm the only one breaking it down and putting it in the tube or protective carrier...I don't mind as much if I scratch and nick on the water fighting a fish or wading a tough stretch of water, but please not the back of a truck!

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Formerguide,

As a former guide, are you supposed to be pimping the industry? But I'm checking to see if I can sue you for plagerizing my dogma. Well made gear is expensive, and expensive gear is generally cool. But it's a far cry from what a cash strapped fishing enthusiast needs to fulfill his fishing itch. I own a host of lower than low end gear that fore the most part fishes perfectly well. The flip side is that fly fishing is my life time passion, and I have a weakness for rods made of bamboo. I hardly blink at writing a check when I see one I want, but cannot bring myself to pay $800 for a Sage that does the same job as a $100 import. It's not that I don't appreciate how well a Sage ONE casts, but in point of fact, it just doesn't cast $700 better, or even $100 better than my handy import fly rod. The bamboo rods don't cast any better either, but they do have soul, for those who can feel it, and I've convinced my wife than my cane rods are investments in art.

I hear ya' on salt water fly reels. I don't have much experience there, but it looks like the problem is building in the amount of durability needed for bluewater species into a package small enough to balance on a single hand fly rod. Nano technology should solve that problem in the near future of course. And the price tag will no doubt show it.

Sg

formerguide likes this.
  13. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I'm not sure where this is all going. Everybody has their own idea of what is necessary for a good fly fishing experience but in a former part of my life I was a construction worker . One of the things I learned was to buy the best tools I could afford at the time so I could make a living withiut having to go to the hardware store all the time to replace an inferior tool. I have sort of adopted that philosophy with my fly fishing equipment. Sure, I have owned lesser quality equipment. Hell, my first rod, reel, line and backing cost less than $100 and I still have them. Don't use them anymore but I have them. Somewhere along the way I started buying stuff; good stuff like Sage rods and Tibor reels. They don't make me a better fisherman but after 65 years, I decided that I deserved the stuff considering the hard work I did when I was younger. I like the feel of the rods and the smoothness of the reels. I don't hold it against anyone and don't expect them to think of me as a snob because I can drag out a $2000 combination to fish for Dorado. I'm glad I have it because I wouldn't want to tackle a big fish with a $100 imprort reel. I subscribe to the "John Hazel School of Landing Fish"; Hook 'em, get in, get 'em back before they know it so they can live another day and someone else can enjoy them. I always overgun and under tippet. I'd rather break them off then tire them out. The hook-up is the sensation. You get my drift? And if that means I am a snob for using a quality Disc Drag reel on my spey rod or on my 4 wt. LL, then I guess I'm a snob.

14. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

I think I have a reel problem!

GBeeman photo.JPG

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Holy shit. You need an intervention for sure.

K

Steve Call likes this.
  16. Porter

Porter Active Member

:eek: R U For Reel? ....that is a lot!

17. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Gbeeman, A man after my own heart, I love being a gear whore.

18. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

...only if your lines have become unmanageable.

19. chief

chief Active Member

Gbeeman, I think you made progress toward step # 1...

1. We admitted we were powerless over fly fishing gear - that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
    4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
    7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
    8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
    11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to fly fishing gear whores, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

seattlee likes this.
  20. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Not so fast there Mr. Evangelist. I'm HAPPY to be a gear whore and don't need no convertin'!

K

Lugan likes this.