Somewhat Fishing Related - Calculate distances River Fished or width/legnth of stillwater

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Price, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

I found a cool website that allows you to track the distance you hike or wet wade. I was delighted to find that my estimate of hiking 2 miles (4 miles round trip) while wet wading the S Fork Snoqualmie was pretty much spot on.

Measure your own wet wade, hike or float at http://www.geodistance.com/

A drift boat trio told me they were going to attempt to float 11 miles yesterday on the Puyallup. I measured it tonight and if they took out at the 11th ST bridge in the bay they would have drifted at least 15 miles.

2. They prolly mean 11 river miles

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi Greg,
    Thank you for sharing that site. Does it count the dozens of times that you crossed the stream to have just the right angle for a cast or hiking back to retrieve your fly out of a tree. That always adds to my mileage.
    Steve

wadin' boot likes this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I know how far I walk to find fish. About 10 paces from my truck. From the back of my ATV is even closer. I can drive right to the waters edge. Don't need to calculate that.

5. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Well Steve,

You have to manually plot your course, not sure you could zoom in close enough to get your exact river crossings. You can always try. Let me know of your progress.