South Sound Cutthroat keyed in on Chum Fry, action heating up!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Steve Knapp, Apr 13, 2013.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +850 / 1
    It's a skinny little fish not a fat little fish. :) But I agree with you re: sparse flies.

Leland.
  2. Cannon Member

Victoria,B.C.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks a million Steve.:cool: I'll be heading down to the fly shop this weekend to p/u or order the hackle. Soon as I saw the color of those hackles I said to myself, "that's it!" It is a perfect color/barring for the Chum Fry here on the southern tip of Vancouver Island as well. Olive brown polar bear hair marked(barring) with a black waterproof pen has been my go to fly.
  3. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +403 / 0
    uploadfromtaptalk1366211403890.jpg Inspired by your fly and the dark barred ginger eurohackle that I have been using tp tie most of my dry flies, I gave the tackle chum fry a whirl. Using translucent craft fur, peacock herl topping and a couple feathers, I tied up a handful of these this morning.
    Steve Knapp, Eyejuggler and Jeff Dodd like this.
  4. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Guys I am off Wed and Thu next week if anyone is looking for a fishing compadre. :D I am so excited that the SRC's are back!

Dave
  5. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Nice report Steve and excellent chum fry pattern!!
  6. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I will be heading out next week up here in the north Hood. CK out a few spots and saw my First Chum fry on Wed. Not my first of the year mind you, my first ever. I've tyed up a few fry flys to try. I'm still waiting to catch a fish of any type on a fly that I tyed.
  7. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    Nice fly Gary! Bagman, keep at it you'll find them! I've been out searching HC without any luck. The tides were pretty tough with minimal exchanges, but sometimes you got to fish when the opportunity arises. The chum fry were everywhere, without a cutt in sight. Kind of strange....it again all comes back to tides.
    Cheers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +732 / 1
    My wife's in a conundrum as to where we should head off this Thursday for a get-away weekend. We're trying to find some good options for her to get some nice spring photography... this post has me thinking the beaches are in full bloom and should be high on the list :)