Speaking of being pissed off...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Vaughn, Aug 24, 2014.

1. I didn't want to hijack the discussion on guides (or others) circling a good hole but did want to share what I thought was a very humorous situation on the Beaverkill River in the Catskills (NY). There trout fishing is a social event and the concept of solitude is ludicrous; the river is 2 hours from New York City after all. My buddy and I were there in early June and there was a great hatch of BWOs coming off like clock-work around 10 AM. If you don't get on the river early you are relegated to the less productive water. People "camp out" at the head of runs and pretty much stay in the same footprints until the hatch is over.

One morning on Wagon Tracks run Mike and I were fishing well down the run with several other late risers. At the head of the run there were two guys that appeared to be there together; one on each side of the run and they weren't going anywhere. Along comes this guy who actually thought that fishing ethics were alive and well in Roscoe, NY. He stood on the bank well behind one of the run hogs fiddling with his gear in what appeared to be a polite way of saying, "I'm next when you move along." I remember calling to Mike and the guys around us; "This is going to be good." After standing there for a good 15 minutes with run hog ignoring him new guy moved a few steps closer to him. Meanwhile, run hog seemed oblivious, but I'm sure he knew he was there. By 30 minutes in, the new guy was crouched behind run hog close enough to smell his farts and there he stayed. Run hog's attempts to ignore him were failing him now and he was becoming visibly rattled. Pretty soon his buddy on the far bank started in on the new guy with some pretty good NYC vulgarities (there are few that can match abusive language like a veteran New Yorker). All the time run hog and new guy never said a word as far as I could tell. By now the audience down stream had quit casting and were looking for the popcorn vendor as we anticipated this thing getting ugly soon. Eventually, run hog couldn't take the glare drilling into his back anymore; he reeled in and stomped out of the area cursing new guy but didn't have the balls to get within arms reach of him. The crowd went wild with applause for new guy who simply grinned and started fishing the head of the run.

I could go on with stories of the ridiculousness I've seen fishing in the east for the past 50 years but that is probably true in any region of the country. The topper being the biker and his chick having sex on the bank on afternoon in view of several folks fishing a creek near Rochester, NY - another story for another time. Your turn...

2. Years ago, on the turkey shoot run of the Grand Ronde. A bunch of twentysomethings had set up camp on the far bank of the pool at the end of the run. The turkey shoot at that time was being fished by a bunch of old guys who followed the step/swing rules. These rules were enforced by the group in general and anyone trying to step in would have the rules explained to them.

The guys across the river didn't like the idea of someone telling them how to fish. (Nevermind that it gave everyone a fair chance at a fish.) That took up a watch and anytime someone got down to the pool, they would send someone running to jump in front and flog the shit out of it.:mad:

That used to be a really nice place to go camp/fish. You could have as many as a dozen guys fishing and everyone got a shot. No longer. Now a couple of guys post up and fish the shit out of it. Won't even pull out after getting one.

On top of that. We lost the access/camping spot. The owner of the vacant lot just upstream of the house would let people camp there. All he asked is that we keep it clean and no fires. Well, a year or two after the pool hogs incident, he said no more. A group had started having campfires and leaving trash.:(

3. I was fishing near the tail end of this same pool on the Beaverkill one evening when a man and his wife pulled off the road and parked in a black stretch Mercedes limo. I was fishing near the bank on the opposite side of the stream from them, and after donning their gear (everything looked new, and right out of an Orvis catalog) they proceeded to wade into the river directly across from me. That didn't make me particularly happy since I was patiently waiting for fish to rise there, but didn't say anything.

They weren't in the water more than a minute or two when I saw the wife opening her fly box, and the next thing I see is her dumping the entire box upside down in the water. Dozens of flys floated merrily downstream.

She and her husband both splashed around trying to gather what they could, but I could see most of the flies bobbing along downstream.

They didn't even stay to fish after that, went back to the limo, took off their waders, put their fishing gear in the trunk, got into the back seat, and (presumably) their driver drove them home.

-------

On another day fishing the Beaverkill, I caught a brown trout in that pool that I estimate, based on a picture of it that I have, is about 26" long.

------

Lest one think this type of behavior exists only the East, the day before yesterday my friend and I were fishing one of our favorite runs in the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley, MT, and had 3 guide boats with clients row their boats within casting distance of where we were fishing. We were fishing a run about 100 feet from the shore, and we were visible to them for at least 1/4 mile distance upstream and they could have easily rowed at least 100 feet farther away in front of, or gone behind, us. You really got to feel sorry for the clients who are stuck with these so-called guides for a full day.

4. I like the less productive water on the Beaverkill. The water right above and below Cemetery Pool sees little pressure and holds plenty of 20" browns. If I get that far on 17 I'm probably fishing the East Branch though.

I found solitude pretty easy to come by out there. Fly fishermen (even some of my buddies) are pretty reluctant to hike and try new spots in the Catskills.

5. MT_Flyfisher: Yeah, Wagon Tracks holds some might nice fish but when you are down in the middle of the run with its flat calm water it is tough to watch a 20+" brown come up within an inch of your emerger then slowly drop back down giving you the finny finger. I have caught some nice fish down where I think you are talking at the tail of the run and few folks seem to fish it.

Kyle: When I last fished the Beaverkill regularly I used to spend most of my time on Cemetery Pool. I used to love getting there around dinner time and there would be guys up and down the river but just as it got to dusk they would all leave. My buddy and I would have a blast fishing the evening spinner fall as it got dark and we would often be alone. Once I started figuring out the West Branch I never really went over to the Beaverkill or Willowemoc. You could always find solitude on the main stem of the Delaware but you had to know where the fish were hanging out like on so many big rivers.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  6. I have two stories.

The first on was in the early 1980s when the Yellowstone Cutthroat trout were plentiful and large. The most famous location was Buffalo Ford below LeHardy Rapids in the park. In the age of political correctness, it is now called Nez Perce Ford.

There were so many cutts that the fly fishers would form two lines, one fishing the main run, and another line of fly fishers fishing the secondary run that is a little closer in.

[​IMG]

I was fishing the closer run when a guide took his 3 clients up stream though the rising fish, rather than walk the bank upstream and then entering the river. After wading his clients upstream about 50 feet, he could not find any fish so he took them downstream, again through the run I was fishing. I often wonder what his clients thought.

The second episode occurred on the San Juan river in the 1990s.

[​IMG]

I was fishing the outlet of the Kiddie Hole, where it empties into the Texas hole next to the Texas Hole parking lot. There is an island at the lower end of the kiddie hole. Between the island and the Texas Hole bank, the water comes down the run and then enters the Texas hole, and then there is a drop off. The fish were hitting the flies as they went over the drop off.

There is just room for two fly fishers, one stands on the island side and the other on the bank on each side of the run. You stand in the water upstream on the shallow portion above the drop off and allow the flies to drift over the run. We then saw a fisher who was a newbie, decked out in a new vest and waders enter upstream up us and he planning to wade between us even though we were only about 15 feet apart.

We looked at each other as if to say, “What is he planning to do?” Then we gave each other a knowing look as he kept wading down into the water we were fishing. Neither of us said a word as he went over the lip and stumbled and fell, disappearing under water. He put down the fish but it was worth it.

Karma is a bitch……

Pat Lat likes this.
  7. I just sent I copy of your post to my nephew whose home water is the San Juan. I am sure that he will enjoy the tale.

8. I've hooked into some good fish in that spot!!