Spey outfit not balanced?

Discussion in 'Salmonfly.net' started by mflytier331, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mflytier331 New Member

Nutley, NJ
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I bought a Sage VT2 8wt rod and a Lamson 4 reel with a Rio Windcutter 8.9,10 line. I cast it for the first time today and when I went to balance it on my fingertip the front end would fall foward even with my finger on the uppermost part of the cork. In other words the cork on the rod would have to be about 2 inches longer or I would have to get a heavier reel to balance the rod on my fingertip. How critical is this to be balanced, especially over a few days of fishing. I have tendonitis in both arms and it seems like it would not help me if the rod is not correctly balanced. Is this reason enough to take the outfit back to the shop where I bought it?
    Malcolm
  2. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    No, for me balance might be important for a single hander, but a two handed rod with two different fulcrums doesn't make sense. Sounds like your getting too much into the detail and not enough fishing. I'm sure some guys will debate this, but that's America.
  3. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Yes, absolutely! If you listen to Simon Gawesworth do his spiel on speycasting, he emphasizes that you do the least amount of work when your upper hand is at the fulcrum (balance point) and progressively more work as it moves away from that point

He demonstrates by showing how easy it is, even with a only one hand casting a 14' rod, when your hand is at that point.

The other issue is fatigue - gripping at the balance point will reduce fatigue on your wrist and forearm as your fly swings down and across.

It's a major consideration for me, and becomes progressively more the longer/heavier the rod is. Try casting/fishing a correctly balanced rod and you'll see for yourself.

As to "what to do"? If it were me, if you like the rod I'd first see if you can find a heavier reel to balance it before giving up on the whole thing.

Just my .02,

Brian
  4. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    I have his tapes and book, even had him sign it. Never did listen to him though. Then again, I'm kinda out there on my own...not listening to anyone...coming up with my own way...a loner...empty catch card...poor pitiful me. But Brian sounds like he is right.
  5. Brent Comer Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Brian hit the one that I figured out the hard way. The balance of the rod through the swing is important. I've fished all day with an unbalanced rod. At the end of a long day, my wrist and forearm were killing me.

6. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Maybe I just got lucky and most of the rods I use have heavy old Reddington 13/14 reels. And hand placement may be marginally different between rods to compensate. I've never had sore wrists and forearms.
  7. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. If it bothers you then hold it up on the blank or let the tip sit on the water during the swing. Another option would be to buy a 3 3/4 perfect.:D
  8. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    Or add some leadcore to the arbor of the Lamson .