Spey Reels $500.00-$600.00

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Pacific Steelheader, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Pacific Steelheader

Pacific Steelheader New Member

I see several choices for around 500.00-600.00. My rod is a SAGE 8136 4 SLT

Which would be the BEST reel for the price? I have come across the Bauer CFX 6 $455.00 Islander has one out for $500.00 and Abel Spey. Nautilus has one out for $525.00 CCF 12.

How about kicking down another $200.00 anyone a fan of Tibor Spey reels or are Nautilus the Best.

Thanks, Robert

2. RustE

RustE drifting about

My considerations:
    - Does the reel have enough mass to balance the rod, slightly tip up, with a skagit head on the water?
    - Is there enough space in the spool to allow for quick and sloppy line retrieval?
    - Is there enough space in the spool to allow for 150-yards of 30lb backing?

If I'm concerned about the first: Galvan Torque reels have a very nice option for adding weights. Otherwise a few turns of extra T-line or lead core can add mass to any reel.

If I'm concerned about the second and third: Contact the manufacturer to get the spool measurements for arbor diameter, spool diameter, and width.

I like Galvan Torque reels for several reasons and tolerate the drag system not being sealed. Nautilus CCF reels are one of the top choices in the Great Lakes region due in part to having a sealed drag system. My preference is for the wider spool design of the Nautilus CCF 12DD over their CCF 12.

SpeyCo and the newer Abel Spey reels belong in another category. The click-and-pawl drag design has been around for years and works just fine. My reason for putting these in another category is additional drag must be created by the caster applying pressure to the moving spool versus turning a knob.

Looking at the specifications for the Bauer CFX 6 Spey, I like the description of the drag system but I do not think 8.6oz is enough mass to balance a 13ft rod. A Galvan Torque T-10 (8.2oz without extra weights) just barely balances on my Scott A3 11ft 8wt switch rod.

The Tibor Spey is a legendary reel and having surplus funds to by one would be great.

3. Pacific Steelheader

Great information and you covered many of my concerns when weight is an issue.
    I appreciate your info.
    Robert

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

In that price range, you have many options.

5. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    Another option is an Abel Super 10. They went on sale last summer and fit right in your price range.

6. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    ^This^

The only reel I have in that range is a Cascapedia MKIII 8/9, and it has been stellar. Definitely worth a look.

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I would agree that they are stellar but there are other choices. Abel makes a pretty nice spey reel for $500 to $600. They are plain colors like Moss, gray, black, etc. but very nice, nevertheless. There are lots of other choices as well but the Cascapedia is a winner.

8. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Spey Co. reels!

fredaevans likes this.
  9. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Another vote for the Cascapadia. very, very nice reels

10. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    For that kind of money you can easily go retro - possibly twice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I woudn't say easily...But, I did just buy a 4'' Dingley Perfect knock-off for sub $400.

12. RustE

RustE drifting about

Good point. There places giving nice discounts on the Abel Super 10 and Super 12 that gets the price around $500-ish. Although the cork drag in these reels requires a bit more maintenance attention than other reel designs.

13. RustE

RustE drifting about

Agreed.

With Hardy manufacturing the Cascapedia series in Korea, I would rather give the money to a U.S. manufacturer.

Abel Spey reels are also Made in USA, but I prefer the SpeyCo design characteristics.

14. Pacific Steelheader

I have looked at the SpeyCo reels.. very nice looking. I saw a sweet looking one with the white handle and pewter finish.

For trout fishing I do have several Hardy reels and don't mind reeling with my right hand.

[​IMG]

I do think I would like a left handed reel for fishing with a Spey rod. Last week I was tempted to buy a Hardy Perfect Wide spool, but I would hate to have the foot filed or have to pay a couple hundred to have a new foot made.

[​IMG]

On the Cascapedia reel would I need the 10/11, to balance and hold line for a 8136 ? Those are really something special to look at. I am glad they went back to the original look with the medallions.
    This is what makes it all fun!!!

Thanks. Robert

15. Pacific Steelheader

I appreciate all your help on looking for my new Spey reel.... I am leaning on the Hardy Cascapedia.
    I was reading more information on the reel and name sake ... My paternal grandparents are from Quebec!!!

I really like the classic looks.

Robert

16. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    I run an 8/9 on both a 13'4" 7wt and an 11'6" 9wt. I think either an 8/9 or 10/11 would work on your rod depending on your balance point and hand placement preferences. You may want to do some trials with different weights (other reels, bags of coins) fixed to your reel seat to see which one you want.

17. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    Give Poppy a call at the Red Shed. He has many brands and common sense and would not steer you wrong.

18. Nathan Weston

Nathan Weston Member

Media:
    I highly recommend the Solitude 5.
    I picked up one from Ed Megill last fall for my z-axis 8wt 13'6" spey and it's amazing reel. Huge line capacity, super smooth drag, bullet proof and classic design. Plus it's made in Anacortes Washington.

19. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I was going to point out the Solitude reels as well. Locally made (more towards Mt Vernon than Anacortes) and high quality.

20. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

[quote="Brady Burmeister, post: 815617, member: 14236" I think either an 8/9 or 10/11 would work on your rod depending on your balance point and hand placement preferences. You may want to do some trials with different weights (other reels, bags of coins) fixed to your reel seat to see which one you want.[/quote]
    The weight difference between the 8/9 and 10/11 is minimal (12oz. vs 12.3/4 oz.) but I believe the line/backing capacity difference is significant .