Spey time?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I've been kicking around the idea of picking spey up. Some of you may know that I broke both of my wrists last year and sinse then I've been in pursit of lowering the weight and swing weight of my rod/reel combos. I was talking to one of my buds at Cabelas last week and he mentioned spey.

His point was you can toss line easier and further without messing with wrists and shoulders. He even said I could pick up a 13' 7/8 wt that I could use for both trout and steelhead. It's on my mind now. I never really gave it much thought before because it seemed so alien. I live 8 minutes (walking distance) from the Spokane River where I can practice the cast, so I dont have any excuse not to build skill.

My question to you all is; what do you think of the broad coverage of that 7/8wt rod for both species...is there such thing as a magic bullet? Any line suggestions? -ie grain size or head? How about rod suggestions? As a newbie to the spey game I am looking for any insight before I make any purchases.

Thanks gang.
  2. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Crap, afterthought I checked if there was a spey forum... Any way to move this thread?
  3. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    You should move these thoughts right on over to silver bow fly shop in the valley. Sean or Beau will take care of ya
    rwbailey05 likes this.
  4. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    Spey is the way!! Won't go into lines if you're new to speycasting because my opinion will be the opposite of most. A 13' 7/8 is good, very good, for steelhead, maybe a bit much for trout but it'll work.

Once you get the casting down (even if your wrists recover fully) you won't have much use for a single hander anymore. Except for real small water, then you'll speycast your singlehander.
    Paul Huffman and Codioos like this.
  5. Cole L Fish Fiend

Bellingham
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    If you want some thing that will cover both, you could get away with a 6wt spey, or even a 5 depending on which kind of fishing you do more. A 5 might be a little light for winter steel but I'm sure it could handle lower water conditions well that you get in summer. I have literally 0 experience with double handers but I've done some research. Most spey rods are weighted two wts under what a single hander would be. So 5wt spey would be equivalent to a 7wt single as a result. But the weight system is so screwy these days that you can never really tell how strong a rod is until you've fished it yourself. Also if you're willing to spend more money and get two rods, just get a 4wt spey for trout and a 7wt spey for steelhead. Those two will cover anything you need.
  6. garretcarden New Member

spokane, wa
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    I would look into a switch rod for trout. I fish an 11 foot 6 wieght on the spokane and it works well. To tell you the truth I wish I would have gotten a 5 or 4 wieght instead. A switch rod will still give you the option of putting on a standard fly line. This would be great if you plan on using it on rivers like the nfcda and need to fish a dry fly.
  7. csilve New Member

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Go to Spey Pages and start reading, lots of info there. I would think a 6/7 would be more dual purpose.
  8. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +673 / 0
    Go to your local fly shop and they will help you. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that Cabela's would rather push product and have you buy a cabelas brand rod, reel, and line, than actually setting you up with the right gear the first time. This in point I say to go to your fly shop as they will hook you up nicely.
  9. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    This is a great start, thanks guys.
    I totally forgot about switch rods, and I would like to throw dries in the summer. So with a switch I can use my standard single hander lines? That would be a nice way to keep cost down and get me started... I'm anticipating this to be a streamer and nymph rig.

That was my next stop.
  10. kmac Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    Go to a local fly shop that knows spey. My 6wt 11' is a good all around rod for summer steelhead and trout (probably ok for coho too). My local shop went to great lengths to set me up with the right line. I will have to go up to a 7 or 8wt if I want to go after king salmon or winter steelhead.
  11. garretcarden New Member

spokane, wa
    I use both on mine. A standard wieght forward dry fly line and a compact skagit line
  12. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Reds has the echo spey setup for i think $500, easy option to get into the spey game.
  13. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    You can use standard single hander lines on long spey rods as well. For ages it was standard practice to use a double taper line. Regardless of switch or spey, you'll just need to make sure you get a line that loads the rod properly. It might also help to learn about the different casting styles and the pros/cons of each one.
  14. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    I have two switch rods, a 5 wt Cabela's LSI and a 7wt Redington CPX. I love throwing steamers with the 5 wt. It is amazing how much line it will throw with so little effort and how much fun it still is to play smaller fish.

The 7 wt. is a rocket with an airflo 450 gr skagit and can do well with a 390 gr scandi from Godshall but it is not much fun when I catch bass and trout while I'm trying to hook into steelhead and salmon. When I took a switch rod class, I really liked the 4 wt. that Craig had and let me use. I would certainly consider switch or spey rods as a way to give your body a rest and still be able to enjoy fishing all day. As the others have suggested go to a shop that offers casting lessons and try out what they have.
  15. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Thanks for the help guys. I talked to Sean at Silverbow and I set up a lesson. My only reservation is if I get into switch/spey...what do I do with my other rods? How many of you still use your single handers?...other than with small dries. I suppose time will tell.
  16. garretcarden New Member

spokane, wa
    I still use both.
  17. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +183 / 1
    I don't think that I will every totally stop using my single hand rods. With that said, since I mainly target steelhead, I use a two-handed rod 90% of the time. When I trout fish, you can reverse that percentage to 90 single 10% two-hand.
  18. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    You'll just have to move west and fish the beaches.
  19. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,718 / 0
    Codioos,

I don't use the same single hand rod for both trout and steelhead fishing, so there is no way I'd try to get by with one two-handed rod for both. A 6 or 7 is about right for most steelheading, especially summer runs, except on the largest rivers. I would want a 4 wt Spey, or lighter, for trout fishing. I have a 5 wt 12' Spey that I could use for trout, but it would need to be good sized trout on a good sized trout stream.

Sg
  20. tridentfly Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Salmo is correct - you won't want "just one". Your best bet in speys would be a 4wt switch (to cover your trout) and a 7-8wt spey for your steelhead/salmon/everything big.

I would also keep you single handers - in the lower weights especially. Spey/switch rods are incredibly efficient at fishing large rivers and swinging flies. They are also a decent choice for nymphing medium size rivers, but they are cumbersome to bad for small streams or anything technical.

If you never fish from a drift boat or on the flats, you could easily replace your 7wt+ rods with speys and never look back.