Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

spring break with steelhead

883 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  CoastalCutt 
#1 ·
I have a week off at the end of march and I am trying to figure out were to go to find a spring steelhead or two. I have read a bunch about the cowichan, and would like to explore it but also see that it will be pricey. since I am strapped for cash now, it might not work out.

Theres always the sauk and skagit, or some O.P river which I have never fished. I might even be able to drive as far as oregon.

Any suggestions? what are your favorite spring steelhead rivers (that are still open)?

Tyler

#3 ·
Go to the OP.

Skagit/Sauk will be depressingly crowded.

#7 ·
Misinformation.

The Skagit/ Sauk are open til the end of the month, will have plenty of fish. The OP rivers will be prime. What about the Vedder or other lower mainland rivers close to B'ham? The OR coast could be decent but runs usually peak significantly earlier because of the small size of the systems and the weather patterns this far south. Normally when the season ends the last week of March the rivers are low and clear and have relatively small percentage of fresh fish. They close because by that time most fish are actively spawning. The Sandy could be worth a shot since it gets a late run of fish and also has an overlapping summer run.

#8 ·
I would have to agree with Greyghost. The Oregon Coastal area is in full spawn by then and the rivers tend to drop at that time of year. The Sandy or Clackamas could be good (East of Portland). Or you may want to ask the folks up there about the Lewis or Kalama (between Vancouver and Oly). I hope this helps on your trip planning. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.